Updates to Thunderbird Instant Messaging module

Patrick Cloke

May 11, 2021, 2:36:06 PM5/11/21
to gover...@mozilla.org, Florian Queze, mar...@humanoids.be, Magnus Melin
Hi everyone,

Florian (CCed) has asked me to be the owner of the Thunderbird Instant
Messaging module as he has not been active in that code for a while [1]
[2]. Additionally, aleth has been moved to Peer Emeritus as he is no
longer active.

I plan to add Martin Giger (freaktechnik) (CCed) as a Peer of this
module. He's contributed to various protocols supported by the chat
backend (mostly IRC and Matrix) since 2016 as well as recently been
working to fix up deficiencies throughout the instant messaging code.

Sadly the top-level chat module [3] no longer makes sense (the chat code
is currently only used by Thunderbird). I'd propose moving this to a
sub-module of Instant Messaging and essentially moving everyone to
Emeritus status (for posterity's sake), unless there's a more common way
of handling decommissioned modules? (Note that I do not have the
permissions to edit the chat module wiki page so would need help with that.)

Both of these changes have already been discussed with Magnus (CCed),
the owner of the Thunderbird module.

Please let me know if you have any thoughts or questions,
Patrick

[1] https://wiki.mozilla.org/Modules/Thunderbird#Instant_Messaging
[2]
https://wiki.mozilla.org/index.php?title=Modules%2FThunderbird&type=revision&diff=1235516&oldid=1235032
[3] https://wiki.mozilla.org/Modules/Chat

Patrick Cloke

May 19, 2021, 1:36:12 PM5/19/21
to gover...@mozilla.org, Florian Queze, mar...@humanoids.be, Magnus Melin

I've made the above changes to the various wiki pages and consider this complete, the following additional changes were made:

  • Martin is now a peer of the Instant Messaging module. Congratulations Martin!
  • The Chat Module now redirects to the Instant Messaging module.
  • The inactive peers of the Chat Module (Mic and aleth) were re-listed as Peer Emeritus for the Instant Messaging module to recognize their past contributions.

--Patrick