New module proposal: JavaScript usage, tools, and style

Dave Townsend

Jan 24, 2023, 5:17:15 AM1/24/23
to gover...@mozilla.org
Despite JavaScript being one of the three main languages that ship in Firefox, decisions about coding style, language features and linting configurations have up until now been made in a mostly ad-hoc fashion. We’d like to rectify that by proposing a new module that establishes the owner and peers ultimately responsible for such decisions, similar to how we already have for Python[1] and C++/Rust[2].

The members of the proposed module includes the Firefox module owners (myself and Gijs Kruitbosch) along with Jan de Mooij representing SpiderMonkey to help where the engine implementation impacts usage and Mark Banner who has been de-facto responsible for our JS linting infrastructure for the 7½(!) years of its existence.

Please let me know if you have any objections to this proposal otherwise I will add the new module to the list in one week.

Proposed module:

Name: JavaScript usage, tools, and style
Owner: Dave Townsend
Peers: Mark Banner, Gijs Kruitbosch, Jan de Mooij

[1] https://firefox-source-docs.mozilla.org/mots/index.html#python-usage-tools-and-style
[2] https://firefox-source-docs.mozilla.org/mots/index.html#core-c-rust-usage-tools-and-style

Dave Townsend

Feb 2, 2023, 5:28:40 AM2/2/23