Proposal: Merging and updating Code Commit modules.

mhoye

May 25, 2021, 9:43:19 AM5/25/21
to gover...@mozilla.org

Good morning, all -

At the moment, there are two "Commit Access" modules in the Module system. They are Commit Access Policy, owned by Mike Connor (mconnor), and Commit Access Implementation, owned by Josh Matthews (jdm).

Josh and Mike have both expressed an interest in stepping down from those roles, and since Josh's departure from Mozilla our colleague Jonathan Lin (jlin) has been handling the administration of community access requests.  In addition, this divided structure itself antedates our current system, in which policy and implementation both live in Phabricator and are in every way that matters the same thing.

With that in mind, I propose that Commit Access Policy and Commit Access Implementation be merged into a single module, "Commit Access Management". This module will be owned by Byron Jones (glob) as lead of the team that runs Phabricator, with peers to be myself as engineering community manager, jlin and mconnor.

Comments are welcome; absent controversy, I intend to make this change one week from today.

- mhoye

mhoye

Jun 7, 2021, 12:48:53 PM6/7/21
to gover...@mozilla.org

This change has been made; there are some downstream documents to update, and I am making those updates momentarily. Josh Matthews and Mitchell Baker have both been moved to Owner Emeritus of the Commit Access Management module, and Marcia Knous to peer emeritus. Please join me in expressing our gratitude for their long contributions to the now-retired Commit Access Policy and Implementation modules and the community participation that they've supported

Congratulations to Glob for taking on module ownership of this important role, Johnathan Lin for volunteering as peer, and Mike Connor, now also module peer. I'd like to thank them for their ongoing work in support of an open, participatory Mozilla.

- mhoye