Changing Glean datetime metric columns to be timestamps in BigQuery stable views

Sean Rose

Nov 30, 2022, 2:11:54 PM11/30/22
to fx-da...@mozilla.org, data...@mozilla.com, data-platfo...@mozilla.com
Later today I plan to merge bigquery-etl PR 3343 which will cast all Glean datetime metrics to be timestamps instead of strings in their associated BigQuery stable views.

As far as I can tell no datetime metrics are actively being used in Looker dashboards or Redash queries, but it's possible I've missed something that might break, particularly in Looker where you'll now have to pick a particular precision (time, date, month, etc.) when using such datetime metrics.

Also, the string versions of the datetime metrics will still be available as separate columns with a `raw_` prefix (e.g. the string version of `metrics.datetime.foo` would be available as `metrics.datetime.raw_foo`).

Sean Rose
(he/him && Senior Data Engineer && Mozilla Corporation)
(sr...@mozilla.com || Slack @srose || Matrix @srose)

Sean Rose

Dec 1, 2022, 4:41:51 PM12/1/22
to fx-da...@mozilla.org, data...@mozilla.com, data-platfo...@mozilla.com
Unfortunately merging bigquery-etl PR 3343 had the side effect of causing the search_derived.mobile_search_clients_daily_v1 ETL query to exceed the query complexity limit in the moz-fx-data-shared-prod project (bug 1803534), so it has been reverted until we can get the query complexity limit increased.

Sean Rose
(he/him && Senior Data Engineer && Mozilla Corporation)
(sr...@mozilla.com || Slack @srose || Matrix @srose)

Sean Rose

Dec 19, 2022, 5:55:16 PM12/19/22
to fx-da...@mozilla.org, data...@mozilla.com, data-platfo...@mozilla.com
This change was successfully reapplied last week after the query complexity limit was increased.

Sean Rose
(he/him && Senior Data Engineer && Mozilla Corporation)
(sr...@mozilla.com || Slack @srose || Matrix @srose)

Alessio Placitelli

Dec 20, 2022, 2:48:43 AM12/20/22
to Sean Rose, fx-da...@mozilla.org, data...@mozilla.com, data-platfo...@mozilla.com
Thank you for your efforts on this one Sean! This will definitely help the ergonomics of querying the data!