JSON Design Tokens in mozilla-central

Tim Giles

Apr 5, 2024, 12:40:27 PMApr 5
to firef...@mozilla.org

There have been some changes to how our design tokens are handled in mozilla-central. If you've previously modified the toolkit/themes/shared/tokens-{brand,platform,shared}.css files, then this email is for you.

We now have a JSON source of truth for our design tokens in mozilla-central. Previously these token files, tokens-shared.css, tokens-platform.css, tokens-brand.css, were maintained manually and could drift out of sync over time. To change the tokens file, you need to modify design-tokens.json and run this build command. This will generate the updated tokens files for you. There is active follow-up work to integrate the previous build command into mach (and update the docs), please see Bug 1888952 for more information.

Thanks,

-Tim