Short but Sweet - These Weeks in Firefox: Issue 137

Niklas Baumgardner

May 5, 2023, 10:41:48 AM5/5/23
to firef...@mozilla.org
Hello Firefox devs,

The Firefox Desktop engineering team gathered earlier this week to share the latest updates. Below you will find a summarized version of the meeting.

Highlights
  • aminomancer and Negin from the OMC team are making it possible to embed the new migration wizard nicely in about:welcome! This metabug tracks that effort.

  • bnasar added support for a new keyboard shortcut to toggle PiP fullscreen mode

    • You can now press the “f” key or double click the PiP window to toggle fullscreen mode

  • At long last, after much experimentation, the about:home startup cache is being (cautiously) rolled out to users on the release channel! The about:home startup cache improves the loading time of about:home on browser start. If all goes well, we expect (almost) all users to have the cache enabled by default in Firefox 113. We may continue to do a few holdback studies just to double-check the performance of the cache in the wild.

Friends of the Firefox team

Resolved bugs (excluding employees)

Volunteers that fixed more than one bug

  • Itiel

  • Mathew Hodson

  • portiawuu

  • Victoria Ajala

New contributors (🌟 = first patch)

Project Updates

Add-ons / Web Extensions

WebExtensions Framework
WebExtension APIs

Developer Tools

DevTools
  • Contributions from other teams:

  • In preparation for enabling the Inspector Rules view compatibility widget, Nicolas is fixing performance issues (bug, bug).

  • Nicolas made further enhancements to pretty printing (bug).

  • Nicolas also fixed folder name issues in the Debugger sourceview (bug).

  • Alex improved the Debugger cleanup logic when a thread is removed (bug, bug and bug).

  • Alex fixed an annoying behavior with sourcemaps in the debugger, where we would always force selecting the original source on pause (bug).

  • Alex also fixed a regression where some sourcemapped files could not be opened in the Debugger (bug).

  • Add underlines to most DevTools links (bug, bug).

WebDriver BiDi
  • Sasha added support for "channels" to our script.callFunction and script.addPreloadScript commands. This allows clients to create custom events (eg DOM Mutations) (bug).

  • Sasha also updated our serialization to match the latest spec updates. This gives better control for objects and DOM nodes serialization (bug).

  • Thanks to Jamie for also fixing Marionette's getComputedRole to return ARIA roles (bug).

ESMification status

  • Progress has levelled-off a little, but some bigger patches are in the pipeline.

  • Converting modules used in workers is waiting on ES module workers to ship (probably shipping in 114).

  • ESMified status:

    • browser: 63%

    • toolkit: 78%

    • Total: 75.5% (up from 74.6%)

  • #esmification on Matrix

  • Migration Document (with a walkthrough!)

Lint, Docs and Workflow

Migration Improvements (CalState LA Project)

Picture-in-Picture

Search and Navigation

Storybook/Reusable Components

Below the fold

  • General triage:

  • [mconley] try / our hg infrastructure have been having a few bad days. Our excellent vcs / infra people are working on it, but I think we can expect some tree closures and rate limiting as we need to prioritize for the RC (release candidate) builds for the release next week.

This information, including all of the previous updates, are fully available in this doc: https://docs.google.com/a/mozilla.com/document/d/1u9YH3ULNRYg6G-fN-Udkvfkcvg0alJfzi_zIAfFNkL8/edit?usp=sharing

Also note that I'm really just synthesizing and humanizing the stuff that's on the Wiki, which is freely available from here: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox/Meeting, so check that out if you want the source material. It'll also be posted (minus the Below the Fold stuff) to the Nightly blog.

Finally, if there's a Firefox-ish team that you feel isn't being represented here, please let them know about the above meeting so we can get their updates.

Keep on rockin' the free web,

Niklas