Firefox on Glean now has Artifact Build Support

Chris H-C

Nov 4, 2022, 9:18:19 AM11/4/22
to Firefox Dev
Hi!

  We've just[1] landed Artifact Build support for Firefox Desktop's Glean integration (called Firefox on Glean or FOG). It has docs[2] but in short: it should Just Work(tm) if you've updated your tree more recently than about fifteen hours ago.

  You should be able to change metric and ping definitions and have them picked up at runtime without needing to perform a binary build or pass special envvars or commandline switches or anything else.
  And if you perform full builds, none of this should get in your way.

  If this isn't working out, it might be that your use case isn't known to us and will need supporting, or it might be that we got something else wrong. Please start by skimming the docs[2] to see if that makes things make sense, and if not please reach out[3] and/or file a bug[4] and we'll be right with you.

  I hope this makes your life better. Data is complex enough without us making you have to run full builds all the gosh darn time (unless you're into that).

:chutten, on behalf of the Glean Team

[3]: I'm :chutten on https://chat.mozilla.org/#/room/#glean:mozilla.org and Slack#data-help and email and stuff. If I'm not around, you'll find the rest of my team there, too.
[4]: There's a link in the docs[2], but you can also just file it in Toolkit :: Telemetry and mention Artifact Builds and that should be enough

Mike Conley

Nov 4, 2022, 9:29:04 AM11/4/22
to Chris H-C, Firefox Dev
Tremendous! This will definitely save us time as we add more Glean probes. Thank you!