Suppress "install codecs" message?

Benedict, Stew

Mar 21, 2022, 3:46:38 PM3/21/22
to enter...@mozilla.org

This seems new in our jump from 68.2 to 91.7. The banner:

To play video, you may need to install the required video codecs.

We know we don't have the codecs installled (Linux) and legal does not want to use ffmpeg.
To avoid Help Desk calls, I would rather just suppress this message if possible.
Poked around in about:config, but nothing jumped out at me.

Thanks!

1461351937967_signet.png
Stew Benedict
p 330-665-6588 | 375 Ghent Rd.
                              | Akron, Ohio 44333

The information contained in this e-mail message is privileged and/or confidential and is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communications in error, please immediately notify us by telephone (330-668-5000), and destroy the original message. Thank you.

Mike Kaply

Mar 21, 2022, 3:49:37 PM3/21/22
to Benedict, Stew, enter...@mozilla.org
The EncryptedMediaExtensions policy does what you want I think:

it controls media.eme.enabled.

If that doesn't work, you can explicitly change the other preferences:

media.gmp-gmpopenh264.enabled
and
media.gmp-widevinecdm.enabled