Text Files

Jason Jackson

Sep 21, 2022, 8:07:52 PM9/21/22
to enter...@mozilla.org

How can I have ESR 102 open text files in the browser?  I tried playing with Handlers > mimeTypes > text/plain, which is having some effect.  Should I use “path” to Firefox.exe?

I’m using this for testing: https://filesamples.com/formats/txt

Jason Jackson

Systems & Network Administrator

North Vancouver School District

Mike Kaply

Sep 22, 2022, 11:22:39 AM9/22/22
to Jason Jackson, enter...@mozilla.org

> How can I have ESR 102 open text files in the browser?  I tried playing with Handlers > mimeTypes > text/plain, which is having some effect.  Should I use “path” to Firefox.exe?

I think that should work.

I can't figure out how this page is forcing the files to download instead of open. Usually it's Content-Disposition: attachment but I don't see that.

Mike

Jason Jackson

Sep 22, 2022, 11:54:16 AM9/22/22
to Mike Kaply, enter...@mozilla.org

Hi Mike,

ESR 91, Chrome, and Edge don’t have this behaviour that ESR 102 has.  Should I submit it as a bug?

Follett Aspen is our student information system and it generates text files that trigger this.  It’s not a show stopper, but I imagine there’s others.

Jason Jackson

Systems & Network Administrator

North Vancouver School District

Sep 22, 2022, 12:01:49 PM9/22/22
On Thu, Sep 22, 2022 at 11:54 AM Jason Jackson <jasonj...@sd44.ca> wrote:

Hi Mike,

ESR 91, Chrome, and Edge don’t have this behaviour that ESR 102 has.  Should I submit it as a bug?\

Interesting. I just tested on Chrome and Edge and both of them forced the download (they didn't open in the browser).

I'm going to check the ESR 91 and see what goes on there and see if something regressed.

Mike

Jason Jackson

Sep 22, 2022, 12:11:56 PM9/22/22
to Mike Kaply, enter...@mozilla.org

It’s actually more complicated than I realised.  I’m now seeing ESR 91 and others do the download.  The difference seems to be whether the website decides to show a popup ad as a result of clicking the link.

In the case of Follett Aspen, the text file is in a popup window.

Luca Olivetti

Sep 22, 2022, 12:28:00 PM9/22/22
to enter...@mozilla.org
El 22/9/22 a les 18:01, Mike Kaply ha escrit:

> Interesting. I just tested on Chrome and Edge and both of them forced
> the download (they didn't open in the browser).
>
> I'm going to check the ESR 91 and see what goes on there and see if
> something regressed.

Out of curiosity I tried those links and they do open in the browser if
I open them in a new tab. I then inspected the page and see that the <a>
has a "download" attribute

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTML/Element/a#attr-download

Bye

--
Luca Olivetti
Tel. +34 93 5883004 (Ext.3010) Fax +34 93 5883007

Mike Kaply

Sep 23, 2022, 9:57:27 AM9/23/22
to Jason Jackson, enter...@mozilla.org
Is this definitely a regression?