ESR 91 to ESR 102 Tips

Jason Jackson

Aug 17, 2022, 2:04:09 PM8/17/22
to enter...@mozilla.org

What should organizations look out for when moving from ESR 91 to ESR 102?  For example, new features that should be configured, legacy features no longer available, etc.?

Jason Jackson

North Vancouver School District

Mike Kaply

Aug 17, 2022, 2:26:55 PM8/17/22
to Jason Jackson, enter...@mozilla.org
For the Firefox 102 ESR release notes, I tried to cover everything that happened between 91 and 102.

The three big changes that might impact folks that I can think of off hand are:

1. The new print dialog. We have a policy that allows you to use the system dialog if you need to.
2. Downloaded files default to the download directory instead of /tmp and they are not deleted on exit. We have a policy to use the old behavior if necessary.
3. For the ESR, we were treating JNLP as non executable. For the 102 ESR, we have a policy that allows you to enable JN:P for particular domains. It doesn't fully work yet, but it will before EOL in September.

The enterprise things that I know went into 102 that didn't go into 91 are:

Mike Kaply

Mike Kaply

Aug 18, 2022, 9:10:35 AM8/18/22
to Jason Jackson, enter...@mozilla.org
I forgot one other change.

We've changed the default behavior of Firefox to save unknown file types versus showing the open/save window.

If you want the old behavior, you can change

browser.download.always_ask_before_handling_new_types

to false.

You can read more about this change here

Mike Kaply