uBlock Origin icon

Thane K. Sherrington

Jan 23, 2023, 11:02:43 AM1/23/23
to enter...@mozilla.org
I've noticed that with Firefox 109, it appears that the uBlock Origin icon isn't appearing in the menu on the top right.  I am getting a button for extensions, which is new.  Is this a Firefox issue, is my policies.json going crazy?  (It's worked fine with FF up to this point).

My policies.json file
{
    "policies": {
        "ShowHomeButton": true,
        "DisableBuiltinPDFViewer": true,
        "DisplayBookmarksToolbar": true,
        "DisplayMenuBar": "always",
        "PSFjs": {
            "Enabled": false
            },
        "DontCheckDefaultBrowser": false,
        "ExtensionSettings": {
                "uBl...@raymondhill.net": {
                "install_url": "https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/downloads/latest/ublock-origin/latest.xpi",
                "installation_mode": "force_installed"
            }
        },
        "Cookies": {
            "Behavior": "reject-tracker-and-partition-foreign",
            "BehaviorPrivateBrowsing": "reject-tracker-and-partition-foreign"
        },
        "NetworkPrediction": true,
        "OverrideFirstRunPage": "",
        "OverridePostUpdatePage": "",
        "Preferences": {
            "datareporting.policy.dataSubmissionPolicyBypassNotification": true
        },
        "Proxy": {
            "AutoLogin": true,
            "Mode": "none",
            "SOCKSVersion": 4,
            "UseHTTPProxyForAllProtocols": true,
            "UseProxyForDNS": false
        },
        "SearchEngines": {
            "Default": "Google",
            "PreventInstalls": true
        },
        "Handlers": {
            "extensions": {
                "pdf": {
                    "action": "useHelperApp",
                    "ask": false,
                    "handlers": [{
                        "name": "Adobe Acrobat",
                        "path": "C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Adobe\\Acrobat Reader DC\\Reader\\AcroRd32.exe"
                    }]
                }
            }
        }
    }
}

Thanks.

--
Thane K. Sherrington

Computer Connection, Ltd. ...taking the mystery out of computers since 1982.
Winner of the 2012 Ian Spencer - Excellence in Business Award
Thanks for making us the Reader's Choice Best Computer Store in 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019!
95 College St., Antigonish,
NS B2G 1X6
902-863-3361 (phone)
902-863-2580 (fax)
th...@computerconnectionltd.com

Mike Kaply

Jan 23, 2023, 11:06:13 AM1/23/23
to Thane K. Sherrington, enter...@mozilla.org

Thane K. Sherrington

Jan 24, 2023, 10:43:11 AM1/24/23
to Mike Kaply, enter...@mozilla.org
Hi Mike,
    I hate to be negative, but this is the sort of change that makes it hard for end users to use the product.  For instance, it's very useful to have the uBlock icon available so that can be toggled on and off.  I know it can be pinned, but that's a multi-step process (requiring a right click that most end users don't understand).  I get that Mozilla is attempting to improve Firefox, but this is the sort of UI change that makes things worse.  I really wish they'd consider running changes by some sort of advisory board that would point out changes that aren't going to help end users.

    I guess the next question is, what is the setting in the policies.json to auto pin an extension to the toolbar?

Thanks,

Thane K. Sherrington

Computer Connection, Ltd. ...taking the mystery out of computers since 1982.
Winner of the 2012 Ian Spencer - Excellence in Business Award
Thanks for making us the Reader's Choice Best Computer Store in 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019!
95 College St., Antigonish,
NS B2G 1X6
902-863-3361 (phone)
902-863-2580 (fax)
th...@computerconnectionltd.com

Mike Kaply

Jan 24, 2023, 11:56:15 AM1/24/23
On Tue, Jan 24, 2023 at 10:43 AM Thane K. Sherrington <th...@computerconnectionltd.com> wrote:
Hi Mike,
    I hate to be negative, but this is the sort of change that makes it hard for end users to use the product.  For instance, it's very useful to have the uBlock icon available so that can be toggled on and off.  I know it can be pinned, but that's a multi-step process (requiring a right click that most end users don't understand).  I get that Mozilla is attempting to improve Firefox, but this is the sort of UI change that makes things worse.  I really wish they'd consider running changes by some sort of advisory board that would point out changes that aren't going to help end users.

<biting my tongue>

    I guess the next question is, what is the setting in the policies.json to auto pin an extension to the toolbar?

We don't have that yet, but I'm going to look into it as a result of this change (Chrome has it in ExtensionSettings).

Mike

Kasper, Ryan V. [US-US]

Jan 24, 2023, 12:15:49 PM1/24/23
to Mike Kaply, Thane K. Sherrington, enter...@mozilla.org

Thanks Thane and Mike this is exactly the stuff we need to get ironed out between ESR releases (goes to install 109…)

Thank you,

Ryan V. Kasper

Leidos – SCCM Packaging

Ryan.v...@leidos.com

Mike Kaply

Jan 24, 2023, 12:29:12 PM1/24/23
to Kasper, Ryan V. [US-US], Thane K. Sherrington, enter...@mozilla.org
FYI, addons can choose to make their default location be the toolbar.

The change here is that we made the default be the menu.

I'll see what I can do for policy.

Mike