Plans to add /mozl/cdp/execute or similar?

Dan Pollak

Jun 24, 2021, 11:13:46 AMJun 24
to dev-we...@mozilla.org
Chromedriver offers CDP access via /goog/cdp/execute endpoint. Are there any plans to support a similar endpoint in Geckodriver?

James Graham

Jun 24, 2021, 11:34:25 AMJun 24
to dev-we...@mozilla.org
On 24/06/2021 16:13, Dan Pollak wrote:
> Chromedriver offers CDP access via /goog/cdp/execute endpoint. Are there
> any plans to support a similar endpoint in Geckodriver?

No; we are planning to support the WebDriver-BiDi spec which will give
access to a similar protcol using WebSockets. We don't currently have
any plans to add support for invoking BiDi commands over HTTP.

Henrik Skupin

Jul 7, 2021, 4:52:54 AMJul 7
to James Graham, dev-we...@mozilla.org
James Graham wrote on 24.06.21 17:34:
Just to extend what James' already said, we won't support it for
geckodriver, but have support for CDP, which is directly implemented in
Firefox. As such you can take a WebSocket Client and connect to Firefox
with the Remote Agent enabled (--remote-debugging-port command line
argument).

For details see:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/WebDriver/RemoteProtocol
https://firefox-source-docs.mozilla.org/remote/index.html

--
Henrik Skupin
Senior Software Engineer

Dan Pollak

Jul 7, 2021, 10:32:58 AMJul 7
to Henrik Skupin, James Graham, dev-we...@mozilla.org
Appreciate the feedback / responses, Henrik and James.

I am already familiar with Firefox's CDP support. I was hoping that Geckodriver would provide the additional endpoint so that each client wouldn't need to implement WebSockets. No such luck. ;-)