Cannot build NSS 3.12.8 and NSPR 4.8.6

George Lee

Mar 12, 2022, 11:44:48 AMMar 12
to dev-tec...@mozilla.org
Hello,

I am trying to make 64-bit builds of NSS 3.12.8 and NSPR 4.8.6 because a software product we use requires those versions. I have set up my Windows environment and can successfully build NSS 3.75 and NSPR 4.32 following these instructions:  http://www.myrkraverk.com/blog/2019/08/building-mozilla-nss-on-windows-10

My Environment Setup:
        Windows 10:  With updated Path variable
        Windows 10 SDK:  With mt
        Mozilla Build:  With Python, nsinstall, MSYS
        Visual Studio 2019:  With cl, vswhere, Ninja, and x64 Native Tools Command Prompt
        MSYS2 64-Bit:  With MinGW x64 + updated PATH variable
        Gyp

But I am having trouble building NSS 3.12.8 and NSPR 4.8.6. There is no build.sh, so it looks like I need to use make based on these instructions:  https://firefox-source-docs.mozilla.org/security/nss/build.html#mozilla-projects-nss-building

I tried using MinGW x64 to run the make, but it doesn't seem supported. Is anyone able to successfully build these particular versions of NSS/NSPR on Windows?

Thanks,
George

Martin Thomson

Mar 12, 2022, 6:10:48 PMMar 12
to George Lee, dev-tec...@mozilla.org
Hi George,

NSS 3.12 is extremely old and likely not secure.  You might find an old version of MozillaBuild will allow make to run, but Windows 10 didn't exist when that was released, so I don't know how successful you will be.

George Lee

Mar 12, 2022, 7:09:18 PMMar 12
to dev-tec...@mozilla.org, m...@mozilla.com, dev-tec...@mozilla.org, George Lee
Hi Martin,

Thank you for your insight. Looks like the odds are stacked against me.

Would you by chance know any website that archives pre-built NSS/NSPR artifacts?

Regards,
George

Marcin Cieslak

Mar 12, 2022, 7:27:56 PMMar 12
to George Lee, dev-tec...@mozilla.org, m...@mozilla.com
On Sat, 12 Mar 2022, George Lee wrote:

> Would you by chance know any website that archives pre-built NSS/NSPR
> artifacts?

Hi George, there is no such site, but I was directed once at the CI tool:

https://treeherder.mozilla.org/jobs?repo=nss

But I think it is highly unlikely something so old can be found.

Or, if you only need DLLs, maybe some old Firefox release has them?

Marcin Cieślak

George Lee

Mar 12, 2022, 8:03:45 PMMar 12
to dev-tec...@mozilla.org, Marcin Cieslak, dev-tec...@mozilla.org, m...@mozilla.com, George Lee
Thanks for the link Marcin, and I'll see if I can find an old Firefox with the 64-bit DLLs I need.

By the way, I just checked my current Firefox installation and found it has the nss DLL but not the nspr DLL? My other computer has a slightly older Firefox, and there's no nspr DLL there either...

Regards,
George