NSS 3.78.1 ETA

Wolfgang Rosenauer

May 29, 2022, 4:25:13 AM5/29/22
to dev-tec...@mozilla.org
Hi,

seems that Firefox 101 ships with something like NSS 3.78.1 in a few days. Will there be an official NSS release ASAP?

Thanks,
 Wolfgang

Dennis Jackson

May 30, 2022, 5:53:38 AM5/30/22
to Wolfgang Rosenauer, dev-tec...@mozilla.org
Hi Wolfgang,

There will be an official release tomorrow (same day as Firefox 101 ships), with binaries and a changelog.

More generally, we are thinking of aligning NSS releases with the corresponding Firefox release. We're open to feedback if this change would impact existing workflows?

Best,
Dennis

Wolfgang Rosenauer

May 30, 2022, 6:27:45 AM5/30/22
to Dennis Jackson, dev-tec...@mozilla.org
Hi Dennis,

that is a problem for my workflow at least for releasing Firefox on openSUSE.
Since we are shipping with "system nss", we need/want to build new
Firefox packages before official release so it's only hitting a button
to publish them as soon as upstream released them.
This is done with source archives released under candidates (for
Firefox) but to achieve that there needs to be the matching NSS
version available to be able to build the full stack in advance.

Thanks,
Wolfgang

ajs124

May 30, 2022, 7:04:25 AM5/30/22
to dev-tec...@mozilla.org
On Mon, 30 May 2022 10:53:00 +0100
Dennis Jackson <djac...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> Hi Wolfgang,
>
> There will be an official release tomorrow (same day as Firefox 101 ships),
> with binaries and a changelog.
>
> More generally, we are thinking of aligning NSS releases with the
> corresponding Firefox release. We're open to feedback if this change would
> impact existing workflows?

This might be/would have been an issue for us at nixpkgs/NixOS, where I
co-maintain the nss package.

Updating nss means a very large rebuild, because unlike regular
distributions (as far as I know/remember at least) we rebuild everything
once a build input changes. So because e.g. libblockdev depends on nss,
we rebuild a few thousand packages for every nss update.

This would and did sometimes mean delaying Firefox updates. Although
now we've split the package into nss_esr and nss_latest. We only use
nss_latest for Firefox, Thunderbird and extracting CA certificates
from, while nss_esr is used for everything else.

Maybe some other distros, e.g. GuixSD are in the same boat.

> Best,
> Dennis
>
> On Sun, May 29, 2022 at 9:25 AM Wolfgang Rosenauer <wrose...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > seems that Firefox 101 ships with something like NSS 3.78.1 in a few days.
> > Will there be an official NSS release ASAP?
> >

> > Thanks,
> > Wolfgang
> >
> > --
> > https://groups.google.com/a/mozilla.org/d/msgid/dev-tech-crypto/c684eb7c-813a-4abb-a242-22f753f20767n%40mozilla.org
> > <https://groups.google.com/a/mozilla.org/d/msgid/dev-tech-crypto/c684eb7c-813a-4abb-a242-22f753f20767n%40mozilla.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> > .

Dennis Jackson

May 31, 2022, 11:24:55 AM5/31/22
to ajs124, dev-tec...@mozilla.org
Hi Wolfgang, ajs124,

Thank you both for writing to let us know. We will keep the schedule as-is to avoid any breakage then.

Best wishes,
Dennis

Robert Relyea

Jun 2, 2022, 11:35:15 AM6/2/22
to dev-tec...@mozilla.org
On 5/31/22 8:24 AM, Dennis Jackson wrote:
Hi Wolfgang, ajs124,

Thank you both for writing to let us know. We will keep the schedule as-is to avoid any breakage then.

Best wishes,
Dennis

For us (red hat). It's particularly true for ESR, so please don't try to Jam 3.80 into Firefox ESR. I've already started the 3.79 integration train, in which I have to release 3.79 on several versions of RHEL (with various integration issues) in order for our Firefox team to be able to pick up the ESR in a timely manner.

Thanks,

bob

(Also it would be good to make sure https://wiki.mozilla.org/NSS:Release_Versions is up-to-date).

bob