gyp VS. gyp-next VS. gn for building NSS/NSPR

George Lee

Apr 5, 2022, 1:41:07 PM4/5/22
to dev-tec...@mozilla.org
Hello,

Is it currently preferred to use gyp, gyp-next, or gn to build NSS/NSPR? Or maybe it doesn't matter much?

Thanks,
George

Miklos Vajna

Apr 6, 2022, 7:36:25 AM4/6/22
to George Lee, dev-tec...@mozilla.org
Hi,

On Tue, Apr 05, 2022 at 10:41:07AM -0700, George Lee <george...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is it currently preferred to use gyp, gyp-next, or gn to build NSS/NSPR? Or
> maybe it doesn't matter much?

https://firefox-source-docs.mozilla.org/security/nss/build.html is a bit
confusing regarding this:

"Please, note that we gyp is currently unmaintained and that our support
for gyp-next is experimental and might be unstable."

In practice I tried gyp on Linux and gyp-next on macOS, and both seem to
work fine, when building 3.77.

Regards,

Miklos

Benjamin Beurdouche

Apr 6, 2022, 7:46:23 AM4/6/22
to Miklos Vajna, George Lee, dev-tec...@mozilla.org
Hi,

> On 6 Apr 2022, at 08:17, Miklos Vajna <vmi...@vmiklos.hu> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Apr 05, 2022 at 10:41:07AM -0700, George Lee <george...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Is it currently preferred to use gyp, gyp-next, or gn to build NSS/NSPR? Or
>> maybe it doesn't matter much?

It doesn’t matter much at the moment. I haven’t tested gn but I would be surprised if it worked.

> https://firefox-source-docs.mozilla.org/security/nss/build.html is a bit
> confusing regarding this:
>
> "Please, note that we gyp is currently unmaintained and that our support
> for gyp-next is experimental and might be unstable."
>
> In practice I tried gyp on Linux and gyp-next on macOS, and both seem to
> work fine, when building 3.77.

What is meant there is that:
1. NSS currently uses “gyp” to build
2. “gyp” is not maintained by Google anymore
3. “gyp-next” should work for NSS but if Node break backwards compat we might not see the build fail because we still use “gyp” in our CI.

That move to “gyp-next” will likely happen this year, but this is not a priority for us.

Best,
Benjamin

George Lee

Apr 6, 2022, 12:35:42 PM4/6/22