spammers on MDSP

Kathleen Wilson

Jan 19, 2023, 12:34:28 PM1/19/23
to dev-secur...@mozilla.org
All,

I have changed the group settings to require that Ben or I approve new email addresses before they are added as members of this group.

Unless a potentially new member sends us email separately, we'll assume that email addresses like m071...@gmail.com are spam.

Also, if you receive (or have received) a spam reply to your post in MDSP, please forward that email to Ben or me so that we can ban the spammer from the group.

Thanks,
Kathleen

ke ju

Jan 19, 2023, 5:20:40 PM1/19/23
to dev-secur...@mozilla.org, kwi...@mozilla.com
Will the new emailer get any sort of notification directing them who to email if they do want legitimate access and are not here to spam the list?

Kathleen Wilson

Jan 19, 2023, 5:35:35 PM1/19/23
to dev-secur...@mozilla.org, ke ju, Kathleen Wilson
Will the new emailer get any sort of notification directing them who to email if they do want legitimate access and are not here to spam the list?

No, but when they request access they can enter a reason, stating which company they represent or why they need access.

Ben Wilson

Jan 23, 2023, 12:33:43 PM1/23/23
to dev-secur...@mozilla.org

All,

Unfortunately, our list has caught the attention of spammers. In the last 10 days or so, we have received too many requests to join the list that are not legitimate. We have decided to reject any request to join this list that is not accompanied by a reason for joining. Membership requests must provide context for interest in joining the group, and they must be intelligible--some potential spammers have been including nonsensical reasons. Hopefully this approach will work going forward.

Thanks,

Ben

On Thu, Jan 19, 2023 at 3:35 PM Kathleen Wilson <kwi...@mozilla.com> wrote:

Will the new emailer get any sort of notification directing them who to email if they do want legitimate access and are not here to spam the list?

No, but when they request access they can enter a reason, stating which company they represent or why they need access.

Jeffrey Walton

Jan 23, 2023, 2:19:02 PM1/23/23
to Ben Wilson, dev-secur...@mozilla.org
On Mon, Jan 23, 2023 at 12:33 PM Ben Wilson <bwi...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> Unfortunately, our list has caught the attention of spammers. In the last 10 days or so, we have received too many requests to join the list that are not legitimate. We have decided to reject any request to join this list that is not accompanied by a reason for joining. Membership requests must provide context for interest in joining the group, and they must be intelligible--some potential spammers have been including nonsensical reasons. Hopefully this approach will work going forward.

Matt Caswell of OpenSSL has a nice procedure for OpenSSL wiki access.
The wiki signup sends an email to the wiki administrators list. Matt
then replies back and asks what is the reason for joining, or what
article they would like to edit, etc.

Bots can't pass the Turing test. They are fire-and-forget.

Jeff