Updates from the Chrome Root Program

Ryan Dickson

Jun 8, 2022, 3:24:32 PM6/8/22
to dev-secur...@mozilla.org

[Posting on behalf of the Chrome Root Program with permission from Kathleen]

Hello,

Earlier this week, at the CA/Browser Forum Face-to-Face Meeting 56, the Chrome team shared an announcement about the publication of an updated Chrome Root Program Policy

The updated policy immediately superseded the prior version announced in 2020; however, many requirements are future dated to coincide with when we expect to begin accepting new CA applications.  CA operators registered in CCADB will soon be contacted with a survey to acknowledge the revised policy.

Our update at the Face-to-Face also:

  • shared a reminder of our program’s top priorities (shared initially at the CA/Browser Forum Face-to-Face Meeting 55),

  • highlighted some of the updates introduced in the revised policy, both for the CAs targeted for initial distribution by the Chrome Root Store and future applicants,

  • introduced future initiatives we hope to work with the community on,

  • announced we are targeting to begin accepting CA applications in September, and

  • described milestones and status related to our program’s ongoing engineering efforts.

The meeting minutes, once available, should share additional context regarding our updates, but if there are any questions, please email us at chrome-ro...@google.com.

Thanks,

Ryan Dickson