Re: CRL Issuance Frequency for non-published CRLs

Rob Stradling

Sep 21, 2022, 4:21:14 PM9/21/22
to Ben Wilson, Clint Wilson, Christophe Bonjean, MDSP
AIUI, the latest published version of a root store policy always takes precedence over (1) draft updates to that policy, (2) language proposed for public discussion by the policy's owner, and (3) expressions of intent by the policy's owner that are at odds with the latest published policy language.  With that in mind...

Clint, thanks for confirming that Ben's proposed language matches the intent of the similar Apple Root Program requirement.  Do you plan to update https://www.apple.com/certificateauthority/ca_program.html before October 1st, so that the Apple Root Program's effective policy for CRL URL disclosures matches your intent?
The current language - "for each included CA Certificate and each CA Certificate chaining up to an included CA Certificate in the Apple Root Program" - leaves no room for a "before the CA signs certificates" carve-out, and there's also no permission for any delay between the issuance of a Subordinate CA Certificate and the disclosure of its CRL URL(s).

Ben, thanks for proposing some language for discussion.  Do you plan to (quoting you) "modify MRSP section 4.1 to more clearly indicate when full CRLs need to be added to the CCADB" before October 1st?
The current language in https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/about/governance/policies/security-group/certs/policy/#41-additional-requirements leaves no room for a "before the CA signs certificates" carve-out, and there's no permission for any delay between the issuance of a Subordinate CA Certificate and the disclosure of its CRL URL(s).

Alternatively...
If Mozilla's and Apple's intended policies are aligned on these matters, would it be better to add the language to https://www.ccadb.org/policy#4-intermediate-certificates and then update both the MRSP and https://www.apple.com/certificateauthority/ca_program.html to defer to the CCADB Policy?

Sep 21, 2022, 4:36:32 PM9/21/22
to Rob Stradling, Ben Wilson, Christophe Bonjean, MDSP
Hi Rob,

It’s possible, but not guaranteed at this moment, that the policy update will be published prior to October 1st, however an official communication was sent to CAs (earlier this month) participating in the Apple Root Program clarifying interpretation of this requirement. If that is insufficient in the interim in the view of CAs or other interested parties to be comfortable with their own compliance, I would appreciate that feedback and will certainly work with any impacted CAs in this regard.

Thank you!
-Clint

Rob Stradling

Sep 21, 2022, 5:32:28 PM9/21/22
to Clint Wilson, Ben Wilson, Christophe Bonjean, MDSP
Thanks Clint.  Your interpretation of the Apple Root Program's CRL URL disclosure requirement is crystal clear to me, thanks to your comments here and in the official communication you mentioned.  Sectigo's compliance to this requirement in Apple's eyes is actually the least of my concerns, TBH.

It's the second order effects of this sort of situation that bother me.  If a document that purports to be "the root store policy" is in reality "most of the root store policy, with some bits that are (at best) misleading or (at worst) wrong", then how can we expect CAs' auditors and the wider community to accurately interpret the actual policy?  CAs are expected to read every MDSP message, but auditors and the wider community are not.  CAs receive official communications from root programs, but auditors and the wider community do not.

Sep 28, 2022, 3:38:25 PM9/28/22
to MDSP, Rob Stradling, Christophe Bonjean, Ben Wilson
Hello all,

I just wanted to quickly mention that the Apple Root Program Policy has been updated, hopefully in a way that makes the expectations clear with regards to the Full CRL disclosure requirements and their interaction with both dormant CAs (i.e. those that have never issued a certificate) and timeliness of disclosure.
The relevant bullet now states:

Effective October 1, 2022, CA providers must populate the CCADB fields under "Pertaining to Certificates Issued by This CA" with either the CRL Distribution Point for the "Full CRL Issued By This CA" or a "JSON Array of Partitioned CRLs" on Root and Intermediate Certificate records, within 7 days of the corresponding CA issuing its first certificate. This requirement applies to each included CA Certificate and each CA Certificate chaining up to an included CA Certificate in the Apple Root Program.

Thanks again for the feedback and input on this.

Cheers!
-Clint

Ben Wilson

Sep 28, 2022, 4:51:40 PM9/28/22
to Clint Wilson, MDSP, Rob Stradling, Christophe Bonjean
Thanks, Clint.
Mozilla will be following this same language in MRSP 4 for populating the CCADB full-CRL fields. "CA operators must do this within 7 days of such intermediate CA issuing its first certificate."
Thanks again,
Ben

Rob Stradling

Sep 30, 2022, 9:33:16 AM9/30/22
to MDSP, Clint Wilson, Christophe Bonjean, Ben Wilson
Thanks Clint!

To help CAs and any other interested parties track compliance with the various existing and imminent CCADB disclosure requirements in the Apple Root Program Policy, I've put together a new crt.sh page...

This page currently shows evidence of existing or imminent CCADB disclosure non-compliance for hundreds of CA certificates, so I'd like to encourage CA representatives to take a look!