Tracking CRL Disclosure Compliance

Rob Stradling

Sep 23, 2022, 6:28:57 AM9/23/22
to dev-secur...@mozilla.org
To help CAs and any other interested parties track compliance with MRSP Version 2.8's CRL disclosure requirement (https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/about/governance/policies/security-group/certs/policy/#41-additional-requirements) before the October 1st deadline, I've updated https://crt.sh/mozilla-disclosures to flag in-scope Intermediate Certificates for which both the "Full CRL Issued By This CA" and "JSON Array of Partitioned CRLs" fields are empty in the corresponding CCADB records.

https://crt.sh/mozilla-disclosures#disclosureincomplete shows each affected Intermediate Certificate, with the message '"Full CRL Issued By This CA" or "JSON Array of Partitioned CRLs" is required'.
https://crt.sh/mozilla-disclosures#disclosureincompletesummary shows a summary of the same information, grouped by Root Owner.

--
Rob Stradling
Senior Research & Development Scientist

Doug Beattie

Sep 23, 2022, 7:13:03 AM9/23/22
to Rob Stradling, dev-secur...@mozilla.org

Hi Rob,

Nice report, as usual!

I noticed that some CAs that we might want to exclude in a future update of this report:

Thanks!

Rob Stradling

Sep 23, 2022, 7:52:08 AM9/23/22
to Doug Beattie, dev-secur...@mozilla.org
Thanks Doug.

> A number of Roots were listed.  Since this is for ICAs, should we exclude those?

https://crt.sh/mozilla-disclosures aims to show all CA certificates (Roots and Intermediates), whether in-scope or out-of-scope for Mozilla's disclosure requirements, and to clearly show whether or not any further disclosure requirements apply.  I don't plan to change this approach.

That particular certificate is listed in the "Unconstrained, but no unexpired trust paths have been observed: Disclosure is not known to be required" group, which seems correct to me.
That particular certificate is listed in the "Expired: Disclosure is not required" group, which seems correct to me.
That particular certificate is also listed in the "Expired: Disclosure is not required" group, which seems correct to me.  Expiration trumps Revocation in this report.