evaluation of aggregate behaviour for CAs

Mike Shaver

May 2, 2024, 5:09:55 PMMay 2
to dev-secur...@mozilla.org
Hello,

I have been re-reading the Mozilla root policy, which necessarily leaves substantial discretion to Mozilla as to when revocation of a root (or otherwise constraining it, if such capabilities existed) is appropriate.

From also reviewing a number of historical incidents in Bugzilla, it seems that currently the decision as to whether to sanction a CA is largely evaluated on a per-incident basis: is this specific incident sufficient grounds to disrupt subscribers and relying parties by forcibly revoking some or all of the CA's issued certificates?

Unfortunately, this in my opinion undermines the integrity of the root programs, because it means that the pattern of behaviour of a CA over time doesn't really have a place in the conversations. There is no summary discussion of a CA, even given a pattern of similar incidents, which might lead Mozilla and the WebPKI community to decide that said CA was a liability to the integrity—both technical and political—of the root program.

I'm posting here not to conduct such a summary discussion of any specific CA (yet), but to start a conversation about what the WebPKI community represented here might think appropriate as a structure for such historical evaluations, and also what tests we might apply to determine if a CA should have its inclusion formally reconsidered in some way.

I have my own thoughts on the topic, perhaps obviously, but I would like to first leave some space for others to present their opinions.

Mike

Watson Ladd

May 2, 2024, 5:54:28 PMMay 2
to Mike Shaver, dev-secur...@mozilla.org
Bugzilla is not the place to look for this kind of conversation. In
recent memory I can recall Camerfirma
(https://wiki.mozilla.org/CA/Camerfirma_Issues and
mozilla.dev.security.policy) and I recall a few more that searching
hasn't turned up yet.

Sincerely,
Watson Ladd

> Mike
>
> --

Astra mortemque praestare gradatim

Mike Shaver

May 2, 2024, 6:00:58 PMMay 2
to Watson Ladd, dev-secur...@mozilla.org
On Thu, 2 May 2024 at 17:54, Watson Ladd <watso...@gmail.com> wrote:
Bugzilla is not the place to look for this kind of conversation. In
recent memory I can recall Camerfirma
(https://wiki.mozilla.org/CA/Camerfirma_Issues and
mozilla.dev.security.policy) and I recall a few more that searching
hasn't turned up yet.

Oh indeed Bugzilla isn't the place for it, but it's the only place that seems to have discussion of CA behaviour that doesn't rise to the near-criminal.

That wiki page about Camerfirma seems like it is just a list of Bugzilla issues, and doesn't have any associated aggregate analysis. Did that discussion and subsequent decision about action happen only in the mailing list?

Mike

Andrew Ayer

May 2, 2024, 6:25:42 PMMay 2
to Mike Shaver, dev-secur...@mozilla.org
Hi Mike,

On Thu, 2 May 2024 17:09:42 -0400
Mike Shaver <mike....@gmail.com> wrote:

> From also reviewing a number of historical incidents in Bugzilla, it
> seems that currently the decision as to whether to sanction a CA is
> largely evaluated on a per-incident basis: is this specific incident
> sufficient grounds to disrupt subscribers and relying parties by
> forcibly revoking some or all of the CA's issued certificates?

This has not been the case for at least 7 years:

Symantec: https://groups.google.com/g/mozilla.dev.security.policy/c/kxs3kyqRqYU/m/QDPpj9pOEAAJ

WoSign/Startcom: https://groups.google.com/g/mozilla.dev.security.policy/c/k9PBmyLCi8I/m/mKSMaz9eCgAJ

PROCERT: https://groups.google.com/g/mozilla.dev.security.policy/c/lqZersN26VA/m/NVLf6YPWAAAJ

Certinomis: https://groups.google.com/g/mozilla.dev.security.policy/c/rmU311hOIIc/m/36RWof79CgAJ

Camerfirma: https://groups.google.com/g/mozilla.dev.security.policy/c/dSeD3dgnpzk/m/diOfeWNpBQAJ

These CAs were all distrusted based not on a single incident but rather
their aggregate behavior.

Regards,
Andrew

Mike Shaver

May 2, 2024, 6:27:51 PMMay 2
to Andrew Ayer, dev-secur...@mozilla.org
Oh, I feel dumb for not searching the old Google group, considering that I used to subscribe to it.

Thanks for that, I'll review those cases and see how they were brought forward.

Mike