Retirement Announcement & Thank You!

Kathleen Wilson

Feb 22, 2024, 11:48:26 AMFeb 22
to dev-secur...@mozilla.org
All,

When I started consulting for Mozilla in May of 2008, I had no idea that I would end up running Mozilla’s root store for almost 16 years! Back then I believed that the browser root store would become obsolete in a few years as new solutions to web security were developed and widely adopted. I also believed that working on the Firefox browser root store would be low-key, non-stressful, and healthy for my brain.

As it turns out, my job was healthy for my brain, but it was not as low-key as I had hoped. Interesting situations kept popping up that caught the attention of various researchers and reporters, making the job a bit more public-facing than I had envisioned. These situations and the many negotiations involved in updating policies and requirements led to a few sleepless nights as my brain continued working overtime. In the end, my job turned out to be very rewarding, and along the way I was given the privilege of working with lots of talented people from all over the world.

I truly appreciate all of the help, input, support, and encouragement that so many of you provided to me throughout these years. You all are a big part of the motivation behind me continuing to run Mozilla’s root store for so long. I was also motivated by the belief that I was helping to keep the web safe in an ever-changing threat landscape. I enjoyed working with you all as we tackled the challenges facing the Web PKI.

I wish you all the best, and hope that you all will continue to help keep the web safe for everyone! With my departure, Ben Wilson will continue on as Owner of Mozilla's CA Certificates and CA Certificate Policy modules. I am confident that he will continue to do a great job.

In my retirement years, which begin on February 29,  I look forward to having fewer responsibilities and traveling more.

Best Regards,
Kathleen Wilson

Ryan Hurst

Feb 22, 2024, 12:11:48 PMFeb 22
to Kathleen Wilson, dev-secur...@mozilla.org
Dear Kathleen,

It’s hard to believe it's almost been two decades! Your approach, always calm, professional, and balanced, has had a huge impact on the internet and the reputation that Mozilla’s Root Program has had all these years -- your impact has been profoundly felt by us all.

Your leadership not only helped bring together the various root programs but also helped us navigate complex issues, more importantly, you also helped make this a space that brought together a global community committed to making the WebPKI safe.

You will be greatly missed, but we are excited for you as you move into retirement, hoping it brings you joy, relaxation, and plenty of travel adventures.

Thank you for everything, Kathleen. Wishing you all the best for the journey ahead.

Warm regards,
Ryan Hurst

Amir Omidi (aaomidi)

Feb 22, 2024, 12:41:35 PMFeb 22
to dev-secur...@mozilla.org, Ryan Hurst, dev-secur...@mozilla.org, Kathleen Wilson
Kathleen, your work has truly made the web a better, and safer place and has had a profound impact on WebPKI for everyone. The state of WebPKI today cannot even be compared to how it was 16 years ago.

Thank you for everything and especially your transformative impact on this space. I hope you have fun, with considerably less stress, on your journeys ahead

Miguel Sanchez

Feb 22, 2024, 4:46:35 PMFeb 22
to Amir Omidi (aaomidi), dev-secur...@mozilla.org, Ryan Hurst, Kathleen Wilson
Kathleen, we haven't had a very long history of working together since I'm relatively new to this space (especially relative to your 16 years!) but you were always kind, professional, and responsive so thank you for all your hard work throughout these years. Enjoy a very well deserved retirement and wishing you a lot of great adventures to come.

All the best,

Miguel

Ramiro Muñoz

Feb 23, 2024, 9:16:18 AMFeb 23
to Kathleen Wilson, dev-secur...@mozilla.org

Hi Kathleen

Just to say thank you for your help over the years (many). Although we have experienced bitter moments, we have always found in you a kind and valuable answer. Thank you very much for your work. Enjoy your new live...if in your travels you pass through Avila (Spain) remember that you have a beer (or whatever you want) waiting for you.

KR

Ramiro

Tuğba Özcan

Feb 23, 2024, 10:15:30 PMFeb 23
to dev-secur...@mozilla.org, Kathleen Wilson
Dear Kathleen,

It was a great chance for us to meet you during the process of our root inclusion process in 2015. Since then, you have always provided us with detailed information, followed-up your business in a professional manner, responded quickly all our questions and always had a kindly approach. I wanted to thank you for all.

I believe that It is thanks to you that the Mozilla Root Store Program is so well organized.  Your way of doing business has always inspired me and my colleagues.

I wish you a wonderful future with lots of time to enjoy your travels!.

Best regards.
Tuğba.

Chema López

Feb 26, 2024, 6:18:40 AMFeb 26
to Kathleen Wilson, dev-secur...@mozilla.org
Dear Kathleen,

Your departure from Mozilla marks the end of an era, but also heralds the beginning of a well-deserved retirement. Reflecting on your 16-year journey overseeing Mozilla's root store, it's clear that your impact has been profound and your dedication unwavering.

As you embark on this new chapter of your life, may your retirement be filled with the joy of fewer responsibilities and the adventures of travel. Your presence will be missed, but your influence will continue to resonate within the Mozilla community and beyond.

Wishing you all the happiness and fulfillment in your well-deserved retirement.

Warm regards,

Chema

Marcel Levy

Mar 4, 2024, 1:05:32 PMMar 4
to dev-secur...@mozilla.org, Kathleen Wilson
Kathleen,

Thank you for your work, and for creating a tool that's helped make the world a bit safer for everyone.

Cheers,
Marcel