broken repository issue REDUX?

ISHIKAWA,chiaki

Dec 22, 2021, 2:34:05 AM12/22/21
to devel...@discuss.thunderbird.net, dev-platform
Hi,

I build C-C TB locally and produce patches.
I updated local M-C/C-C tree this morning.
The last time I did was about two weeks ago.

Update went without a hitch including the updating of rustc compiler
(suggested by aborting |mach} command), etc.

After updating the M-C/C-C tree, I applied my local patches. As usual.
conflicts with local patches were manually resolved.
That went OK.

Except, when I tried to tinker with local mods for M-C portion (C-C
portion is OK),
I got dreaded
$ hg qpop
abort: local changes found, qrefresh first

Yeah, I am still using MQ, but setting it aside, it seems I have an HG
problem again.
Some of you may recall the contaminated/broken HG repo issue caused by
the broken HG command for a brief period of time earlier this year.
It seems as if that repo or something similar came back.

Even if I tried to incorporate the phantom change into my local repo,
next time HG command that tries to modify the repo is invoked, it refuses
to operate saying "local changes found".

Has anyone experienced the problem in the last 24-48 hours?
I might have to do a complete re-install of M-C, which I may have to if
it was only me. But it is
an laborious work and so wanted to check first.

TIA

Chiaki

Aki Sasaki

Dec 22, 2021, 12:07:43 PM12/22/21
to dev-platform, devel...@discuss.thunderbird.net
Caveat: not an hg expert.

a) This sounds a lot like [1] which may be useful to fix your current issue, but
b) AIUI mercurial queues are an older workflow [2]. One method I've seen recommended is patchsets with small commits:
  • moz-phab supports submitting an entire patchset at once for review, which helps this workflow.
  • `hg absorb` will take your current uncommitted changes, find the most recent commit in your patchset where those lines are changed, and apply those changes to your existing patchset, leaving any new changes behind for a new commit.
  • `hg histedit` is like `git rebase -i` without a rebase, allowing you to reorder your commits, or drop any changes you've made to aid in local debugging, but which aren't appropriate for review. `hg rebase` allows you to rebase your entire branch to another base revision.
  • `hg show work` or `hg heads` will show you your heads, so you can find any previous work if you haven't bookmarked them.
More recommendations and info here [3].