shifting the way we track intermittent failures

Joel Maher

Mar 9, 2022, 2:18:05 PM3/9/22
to dev-pl...@mozilla.org
For many years we have followed the same process where we file a bug for each failure where the summary is the exact error message (a few exceptions).

This results in a many:one relationship between bugs and testcases as testcases can fail for different reasons.

This current process makes it harder to:
1) understand how often the test case is really failing (which indicates noise or need for attention)
2) automatically annotate known failures (sheriffs/try pushes/etc.)

The change we will be implementing is to have a single meta bug for each test case (file in mozilla-central).  An example is:

If there is an investigation to fix the testcase or disable it on a given platform, then we can create a blocking bug on our meta bug for tracking purposes.

We will start off small, here are the restrictions we will use:
1) only test failures, not crashes || timeouts || leaks || infra
2) only for xpcshell

The plan is to roll this out (in the next 2 weeks) and monitor it for a few weeks before expanding to other test suites.

Feel free to ask questions in Matrix: #test  (firefox-testing).