Convert old severity values to the new severity style

Suhaib Mujahid

Sep 15, 2022, 9:55:46 AM9/15/22
to dev-pl...@mozilla.org, Marco Castelluccio, glob, Dave Lawrence

Hello,

We are currently operating with two severity systems:

  1. Old one: trivial, minor, normal, major, critical, and blocker

  2. New one: S4, S3, S2, and S1

Having two systems limits the effectiveness of our processes and tooling: both at the level of the individual teams, trying to figure out the most impactful bugs to work on, and at the level of the organization, trying to estimate statistics about the current software quality, its evolution, and so on.

To mitigate this issue, we will migrate old severity values to the new equivalents. The migration process will be mostly silent (i.e. without bugmail sent). An exception will be for non-crash bugs with old high severity values, which will need to be re-triaged. To avoid overwhelming teams with too many bugs to re-triage, this will be limited to 10 bugs per team per week.

We plan to start the process on Monday, September 19th, 2022. You could peek at examples of bugs and the number of bugs per team by checking the dry-run results.

Thank you,

Suhaib, on behalf of the CI and Quality Tools team.

Jim Mathies

Oct 14, 2022, 11:53:50 AM10/14/22
to Suhaib Mujahid, dev-pl...@mozilla.org, Marco Castelluccio, glob, Dave Lawrence
Can we limit the bugs that we consider needing re-triage by last modified? I see most bugs on the dry run lists have very old last-modified dates, implying they are likely all invalid.

Jim

Suhaib Mujahid

Oct 14, 2022, 12:44:57 PM10/14/22
to Jim Mathies, dev-pl...@mozilla.org, Marco Castelluccio, glob, Dave Lawrence
Hi Jim,

The goal eventually is to re-triage all of them. We limit this to 10 bugs per team per week; the weekly bugs are selected based on the creation date (newer first). Generally, all these bugs are relatively old since the severity system was changed 2.5 years ago.

That said, we can update the weekly limit to use the last-modified dates instead of the creation dates if that helps.

Regards,
Suhaib