Setting an environment variable for C-C TB try job submission. How?

ISHIKAWA,chiaki

Jun 15, 2024, 11:12:14 PMJun 15
to dev-platform, Thunderbird Developers
Hi,

I would like to set environment variable for try-comm-central job
submission to test C-C TB using MOZ_LOG as necessary.

The idea is to obtain log from MOZ_LOG for failing tests of
try-comm-central  on architectures that I don't test locally (Windows
and MacOSX).
I test locally under linux.

HOWEVER, so far I have found there does not seem to be an easy method to
enable environment variable setting for C-C TB try-comm-central job
submission if I am not mistaken.

M-C FF submission has it easy, though.

Fact 1: For M-C Firefox build/test submission, it seems the following
method works.

   ./mach try fuzzy --env MOZ_LOG=cubeb:4   [1]

However, this has never worked for C-C TB build/test submission as far
as I could tell.

Fact 2-a: Thunderbird document states the following command should be
used for try-comm-central submission.

   hg push-to-try -s ssh://hg.mozilla.org/try-comm-central -m "try: -b
o -p all -u mochitest --artifact"

Unfortunately, this does not seem to accept --env option.

I have been using the following simpler form of the above method to
submit try-comm-central job since the method available for M-C firefox
build/test did not seem to work
for C-C thunderbird try submission. I experimented this several years ago.

    hg push -f ssh://hg.mozilla.org/try-comm-central

(I have forgotten why I did not use |push-to-try|. Possibly it was
because it may not work (?) with hg MQ extension nicely.)

Fact 2-b: I reconfirmed |mach try --env FOOBAR=1| does not work for C-C TB.

I just experimented the day before to see if the situation has improved
and the method for m-c firefox works for TB. It has not.
I tried to run the command, but it tries to submit M-C job submission
instead. Not quite what I intended. |mach try| seems to be intended only
for M-C firefox try submission.

So it does NOT work for C-C TB at all.

In "comm" subdirectory:
    ../do-make-tb.sh try --env FOOBAR=1

This submitted the m-c firefox submission. :-(

 (do-make-tb.sh is a shell script wrapper that sets various environment
variables for my local compilation and then invokes
 |mach| which is under "mozilla" directory, a parent directory of "comm".)

So it seems as if there is no easy way to set environment variable(s)
for C-C TB try build/job submission.

Fact 3:  Then I found the following  description in [3]

   Re-running tasks with custom parameters from Treeherder

   Some of the parameters that you can change are (see screenshot above):

---> Environment variables (e.g. MOZ_LOG)  <---- !!!!
       Modify Python's logging level
       Path of the test to execute
       Gecko preferences (think of about:config)
       Run a test repeatedly
       Run until the test fails

It sounds nice, but given that |./mach try fuzzy --env MOZ_LOG=cubeb:4|
won't work for C-C TB, I have grave doubt if this works for C-C
try-comm-central job.

Q1: Does this feature to set environment variable work from the
treeherder menu work for C-C TB try-comm-central submission?

Q2: If it works, does one need an additional credential to invoke this
feature? Say, I can submit a try job today, but would I need an
additional credential to invoke such actions? I think I need additional
credential.

Please note that many features available for m-c firefox job submission
are missing for TB and I am afraid this is one of such features.

Thank you in advance for any guidance on this matter.

Chiaki

[1] Pushing to Try     (for firefox)
    https://firefox-source-docs.mozilla.org/tools/try/index.html
[2] Pushing to Try    (for thunderbird)
https://github.com/thunderbird/developer-docs/blob/master/thunderbird-development/fixing-a-bug/try-server.md
[3] Re-running tasks with custom parameters from Treeherder
https://wiki.mozilla.org/ReleaseEngineering/TryServer

Rob Lemley

Jun 16, 2024, 7:19:59 PMJun 16
to dev-pl...@mozilla.org, Thunderbird Developers

The situation with try-comm-central is truly awful if you want to do anything beyond submitting simple builds with “try syntax”. “mach try” has never worked in my time due to the two-repo dance for building Thunderbird.

Answers to your questions:

Q1: Does this feature to set environment variable work from the
treeherder menu work for C-C TB try-comm-central submission?

The wiki page you’re reading is rather dated. That particular method doesn’t exist any more.

There is however an undocumented argument to try-syntax that lets you set an arbitrary environment variable. Try:

try: -b o -p all -u none –setenv MOZ_LOG=cubeb:4

-Rob

On 6/15/24 11:12 PM, ISHIKAWA,chiaki wrote:

> [...]

treeherder menu work for C-C TB try-comm-central submission?

Q2: If it works, does one need an additional credential to invoke this
feature? Say, I can submit a try job today, but would I need an
additional credential to invoke such actions? I think I need additional
credential.

Please note that many features available for m-c firefox job submission
are missing for TB and I am afraid this is one of such features.

Thank you in advance for any guidance on this matter.

Chiaki

[1] Pushing to Try (for firefox)
https://firefox-source-docs.mozilla.org/tools/try/index.html
[2] Pushing to Try (for thunderbird)
https://github.com/thunderbird/developer-docs/blob/master/thunderbird-development/fixing-a-bug/try-server.md
[3] Re-running tasks with custom parameters from Treeherder

Thunderbird Release Engineer
r...@thunderbird.net - :rjl
-- #thereisonlyxul --

ISHIKAWA,chiaki

Jun 19, 2024, 9:46:23 PM (13 days ago) Jun 19
to dev-pl...@mozilla.org
Dear Rob,

This has worked great.

Thank you again for the tips.

But now I have a problem which is unrelated to  this issue.
I will post another question.

Chiaki