Intent To Ship: Windows Native Notifications

Nicholas Rishel

Feb 8, 2023, 5:08:19 PM2/8/23
to firef...@mozilla.org, dev-pl...@mozilla.org
As of today Windows Native Notifications are riding the trains as enabled by default!

Platforms:

Windows 8+.

Schedule:
Riding trains for Fx111.

How it works:
Notifications for Windows may outlive the instance of Firefox which created them. To handle this we have added a notification COM server (implemented as a standalone surrogate COM server) which ensures Firefox is running via the remote protocol. For Windows 8(.1) the behavior falls back to in-memory callbacks; notifications persisting in an action center and their COM server entry points being a Windows 10+ concept.

Prefs now defaulted on are `alerts.useSystemBackend` and `alerts.useSystemBackend.windows.notificationserver.enabled`

More Information:

Tracking Bug 1497425
Docs Tracking Bug 1782157

Questions?
We're available in Windows Development on Matrix or #windows on Slack.