Automatically drop topcrash keywords and decrease severity for low volume crashes

Suhaib Mujahid

Sep 16, 2022, 6:55:10 AM9/16/22
to dev-pl...@mozilla.org, firef...@mozilla.org, stab...@mozilla.org, Marco Castelluccio

Hello,

High-volume crashes need to receive special attention. To highlight bugs linked to such crashes, we depend on the severity field and the topcrash keywords. However, the crash volume could decrease for many reasons (e.g., fixing a related bug or external changes). Falsely keeping a low volume crash marked as a top crash with high severity (i.e., S1 or S2) could distract the attention from bugs linked to real top crashes.

Usually, when a crash with low volume is noticed, the topcrash keyword gets dropped, and severity also could be decreased. To help with this manual process, we implemented a feature for autonag to automatically detect bugs that do not match the top crash identification criteria to drop their topcrash keywords (we allow some tolerance to avoid dropping the keyword too soon). Also, when the crash volume is very low (i.e., less than 5 per week), the bot will decrease the severity to S3.

We are planning to enable the feature on Monday, September 19th, 2022. You could peek at examples of bugs that will be affected by checking the dry-run results.

Thank you,

Suhaib, on behalf of the CI and Quality Tools team.