Remote development with VS Code

Andi-Bogdan Postelnicu

May 19, 2021, 7:00:11 AM5/19/21
to dev-platform
Tldr: Documentation about Remote Development using VS Code is now available at https://firefox-source-docs.mozilla.org/contributing/vscode.html.

Hello,

Here at Mozilla we strive to have an unified development environment for our products. For this we have added support for VS Code integration, with a simplecommand, `mach ide vscode`.

One of the features that VS Code offers and is fully compatible with our environment is the possibility to develop remotely on a beefier machine. This is done through a SSH connection and offers a seamless integration with the ide itself, making it perfect for developers who need very powerful cloud based development machines.

The setup steps are pretty simple and are documented at https://firefox-source-docs.mozilla.org/contributing/vscode.html

In order to determine the level of interest, we are now tracking, part of the build telemetry, if developers are using VS Code and if they are doing remote development through a SSH connection.

The main goal behind this is that, if we see a strong engagement on using VSCode locally or remotely, we might add new tools and features in order to make this process more streamlined.

For any other question that you might have, don’t hesitate to ping me.

Thank you,
ANdi

Frederik Braun

May 19, 2021, 8:01:00 AM5/19/21
to dev-pl...@mozilla.org
Thanks Andi!

I have been using this for over half a year!

Just wanted to say how easy and convenient this is, if you know how to
establish an ssh connection.
(I eventually had to retrieve the workstation from the office, because
it needed maintenance)

Freddy