[dev-platform] Intent to unship: disable 'media.hls.enable' on Android

John Lin

Jun 19, 2024, 5:17:24 PM (13 days ago) Jun 19
to dev-pl...@mozilla.org
GeckoView supports HLS content playback using a third-party library[1], and we’re considering stopping it for the following reasons:

- it needs continuous maintenance efforts. Recently, Google replaced the library (ExoPlayer) with a new one (Media3) and recommended that existing users migrate to it [2]

- it requires additional work to support ORB [3]

- Many websites already use hls.js[4] to play HLS content in desktop browsers, and it works on Android too

No final decision has been made yet, but we’ve been running experiments to stop reporting HLS support in Fenix[5] and monitoring user feedback to see if this impacts the experience.