Intent to Ship: Global Privacy Control

Benjamin VanderSloot

Oct 27, 2023, 11:23:47 AM10/27/23
to dev-pl...@mozilla.org
Hello all,

We intend to ship Global Privacy Control in Firefox 120. We will enable a checkbox in about:preferences#privacy to indicate the user's do-not-sell-or-share preference with a default value "unset." We will also "set" the users' do-not-sell-or-share preference in Private Browsing mode.

Standards Body: Proposal in W3C PrivacyCG
Platform coverage: Desktop
Preference: privacy.globalprivacycontrol.functionality.enabled

Thanks,
Ben

Mike Conca

Oct 27, 2023, 1:35:37 PM10/27/23
to Benjamin VanderSloot, dev-pl...@mozilla.org
What is the status of this in other browsers?  Thanks.

-Mike

Benjamin VanderSloot

Oct 27, 2023, 1:47:11 PM10/27/23
to Mike Conca, dev-pl...@mozilla.org
Hi Mike,

Chrome, Edge, and Safari do not offer native support. DuckDuckGo and Brave "set" the users' do-not-sell-or-share preference by default.

There was careful consideration put into not "setting" the preference by default, to better represent our users' choices and make it as legally enforceable as possible, but I'm happy to hear any feedback and talk about it more!

Thanks,
Ben