Announcing MozillaBuild 4.0 Release

Mitchell Hentges

Mar 21, 2022, 12:02:23 PM3/21/22
to dev-pl...@mozilla.org
MozillaBuild 4.0 is the "Snow Leopard" of MozillaBuild releases - almost no new features, but significant stability, usability and security improvements!
(Perhaps it's bad taste to use a macOS metaphor for Windows-specific software 😉)

Upgrade instructions are here, the full changelog is here, and you can download MozillaBuild 4.0 from here.

Upgrade notes

Highlights

hg-split.png

Fixed
Breaking changes
Breaking user changes

💪😎👉 Happy Windows hacking in a far more ergonomic and modern environment 💪😎👉

--
Mitchell Hentges
Engineering Workflow

Mitchell Hentges

Mar 24, 2022, 9:27:59 AM3/24/22
to Gerald Squelart, dev-pl...@mozilla.org
I also had to remove my ~/.mozbuild, it was full of old hg extensions that confused the new hg, and ./mach bootstrap refused to overwrite them. Maybe the wiki should mention that?

This is a compatibility issue that's specific to MozillaBuild 4.0, and most version-specific information is in the release notes (it could be hard to discover as an unconventional MB 4.0-specific section in the wiki).
Accordingly, in the "Upgrade Notes" of the announcement email, the third bullet point describes this hg extension issue and how to work around it ("./mach vcs-setup").
I wish that this could've been caught in a more automated fashion, but unfortunately it could only be solved by documenting it - which makes it possible to miss.

c:\mozilla-build\python3\Scripts\hg started with "#!c:\mozillabuild-stage\mozilla-build\python3\python.exe", which made my hg-using scripts fail. Fixed by removing the spurious "mozillabuild-stage\".

Thanks for noting this, I've documented the workaround over here.

On Wed, Mar 23, 2022 at 10:43 PM Gerald Squelart <sque...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thank you for the update.

A couple of pain points for me:
- I also had to remove my ~/.mozbuild, it was full of old hg extensions that confused the new hg, and ./mach bootstrap refused to overwrite them. Maybe the wiki should mention that?
- c:\mozilla-build\python3\Scripts\hg started with "#!c:\mozillabuild-stage\mozilla-build\python3\python.exe", which made my hg-using scripts fail. Fixed by removing the spurious "mozillabuild-stage\".

Cheers,
Gerald
Message has been deleted