How do you manage Firefox profiles in your organisation ?

Maxime Accadia

May 19, 2021, 3:56:47 AM5/19/21
to enterprise
Hi,

Our users have their documents and desktop folder on a network drive, we used to have roaming windows profiles, but not anymore due to ntuser.dat corruption issues.

The issue is : when users get a new computer, they lose their Firefox profile located in %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox (which is a local folder in our setup). We usually manually backup and restore theirs bookmarks.

Changing the default profile location would be a option but it doesn't seem possible (https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/963032).

Maybe we can work out a script that backup up and restore (if missing) %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox on logon.

How do you handle this ?

--

Maxime Accadia
Université Grenoble Alpes

Marco Gaiarin

May 19, 2021, 4:06:48 AM5/19/21
to Maxime Accadia, enterprise
Mandi! Maxime Accadia
In chel di` si favelave...

> How do you handle this ?

We use roaming profiles here, limiting via GPO profile size to 1GB;
clerly profile corruption happens, but is manageable; i'm speaking about
200 PC and 250 users.

I think that Mozilla (FF, but the problem in worster for TB) have to
recheck what data is really needed in profile, and what is a 'cache',
or can be lost without major issue, and so can be moved in
%LOCALAPPDATA% not clogging profile.

EG, for thunderbird IMAP folders cache and global message index is on
%APPDATA%, while can be safely moved to %LOCALAPPDATA% with minor
drawbacks (some delay on TB startup).

--
dott. Marco Gaiarin GNUPG Key ID: 240A3D66
Associazione ``La Nostra Famiglia'' http://www.lanostrafamiglia.it/

mp82 ict

Jun 2, 2021, 7:43:20 AM6/2/21
to enter...@mozilla.org, Marco Gaiarin, enterprise, Maxime Accadia
We're also looking into this as the Firefox profiles can easily be 100-200MB per user, with uBlock Origin add-on installed, most likely this is for filter lists.

We're using roaming profiles and I'm trying to get these to be as small as possible to reduce the load on our WAN links before we can implement other solutions like BranchCache. I would love an option for more non-critical parts that are easily able to regenerate of the Mozilla profiles being saved in Appdata\Local instead of Appdata\Roaming as that is the underlying issue.

Kind regards,
Marco

rydlo

Jun 2, 2021, 8:04:59 AM6/2/21
to enter...@mozilla.org

I've got a small and simple idea.

A pure "system level" solution would be:
We would need to create a "Firefox-addons-DB" server or
"uBlockOrigin-list-DB" server - similar to an enterprise-level local
antivirus server (for distributing the DB and program updates...), so
the lists of uBlock Origin add-on could be cached (to the
AppData/Local......) and updated from the local "uBlockOrigin-list-DB"
server... Or it could even be *stored* on a readonly-network drive - if
it was possible to point the add-on to look there.

Be well!

Filip Rydlo, PC technician and IT support worker,
(former C/C++ and PHP5 developer)
IT dep., Institute of Mathematics of the CAS

Dne 2021-06-02 13:43, mp82 ict napsal:
> https://groups.google.com/a/mozilla.org/d/msgid/enterprise/d22d27c9-4f3a-4e18-853e-cea347430726n%40mozilla.org
> [1].
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1]
> https://groups.google.com/a/mozilla.org/d/msgid/enterprise/d22d27c9-4f3a-4e18-853e-cea347430726n%40mozilla.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer

Alexis PELLICIER

Jun 17, 2021, 9:47:38 AM6/17/21
to enter...@mozilla.org, ry...@math.cas.cz
Hi,

We're using firefox esr on windows 10 in our high school.
For long time the users firefox profile are redirected to their mapped home directory on samba share. (using profile.ini in their appdata folder)
We added some tweak to keep cache folder local.
Of course it won't be a solution across WAN but on our LAN everything was working as expected.

However since we deploy ESR 78 users are randomly unable to access their gmail account.
Only after we delete google cookies they can access it again.
Appart from gmail access everything else works.

I am suspecting a network issue and I've tried some tweak on my samba server. But no success so far.

Has anybody seen this problem? Is it supposed to be ok to keep user profile on a samba share?