Firefox 89 configuration

Thane K. Sherrington

Jun 4, 2021, 9:34:14 AM6/4/21
to enter...@mozilla.org
Hi All,
    OK, so as I expected, the new FF 89 design is causing headaches.  I have a lot of client who use Email Link and Take Screenshot, and by getting rid of the ellipsis menu, they can't find the commands.  I really, really wish Mozilla wouldn't work to make my life harder - I'm a freaking evangelist for Firefox for goodness sake.

    Enough ranting. :)  Here's my question.
    How can I add the "Email Link" "Take Screenshot" to the top menu through the policies.json?

Thane K. Sherrington

Computer Connection, Ltd. ...taking the mystery out of computers since 1982.
Winner of the 2012 Ian Spencer - Excellence in Business Award
Thanks for making us the Reader's Choice Best Computer Store in 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019!
95 College St., Antigonish,
NS B2G 1X6
902-863-3361 (phone)
902-863-2580 (fax)
th...@computerconnectionltd.com

Mike Kaply

Jun 4, 2021, 10:36:28 AM6/4/21
to Thane K. Sherrington, Mozilla.org
By top menu do you mean the toolbar?

Mike

Thane K. Sherrington

Thane K. Sherrington

Jun 7, 2021, 9:26:24 AM6/7/21
to enter...@mozilla.org
It also appears that Mozilla has removed the Home button?  It looks I can put it back on with:
{
    "ShowHomeButton": true
}

But it does seem odd that the Home button would be removed.

Perhaps I'm missing something here, but I'm not seeing a ton of "I love the new layout!" messages on forums or from my clients.  I am seeing a lot of negative responses.  I get that Mozilla used telemetry to guess how most people used their browser and attempt to anticipate what they want, but it doesn't seem to be working.

I'm not anti-change - good change is good.  I'm "anti-random UI" changes for the sake of change.  I'm for a frictionless UI.  Once someone learns the UI, the friction level drops.  Changing the UI adds friction until the new UI is learned.  So even if the new Proton layout is fantastic, it will still be a negative until people learn the changes.  And with there being plenty of other options, every time someone can't figure out how to do something, the risk that they will leave for another browser occurs.  I don't see the advantage to Mozilla - I see a threat.

Thane K. Sherrington

Computer Connection, Ltd. ...taking the mystery out of computers since 1982.
Winner of the 2012 Ian Spencer - Excellence in Business Award
Thanks for making us the Reader's Choice Best Computer Store in 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019!
95 College St., Antigonish,
NS B2G 1X6
902-863-3361 (phone)
902-863-2580 (fax)
th...@computerconnectionltd.com

Mike Kaply

Jun 7, 2021, 10:47:02 AM6/7/21
On Mon, Jun 7, 2021 at 8:26 AM Thane K. Sherrington <th...@computerconnectionltd.com> wrote:
It also appears that Mozilla has removed the Home button?  It looks I can put it back on with:
{
    "ShowHomeButton": true
}

But it does seem odd that the Home button would be removed.

There was a lot of research done on this and very few people use it. I added a policy or if you use policy to customize the homepage, it shows.

Perhaps I'm missing something here, but I'm not seeing a ton of "I love the new layout!" messages on forums or from my clients.  I am seeing a lot of negative responses.  I get that Mozilla used telemetry to guess how most people used their browser and attempt to anticipate what they want, but it doesn't seem to be working.

The most unhappy people tend to be the loudest. People that are happy don't tend to say anything. And we've gotten tons of positive press about the changes. I understand some people don't like it, but keeping the status quo isn't really helping us in the market.

Mike Kaply

Jun 7, 2021, 10:50:10 AM6/7/21
to Thane K. Sherrington, Mozilla.org
You can use the preference browser.uiCustomization.state  to change the buttons on the Firefox toolbar. You should never lock it, but set it as a user pref.

The button IDs in question "email-link-button" and "screenshot-button"

I would recommend doing extension testing before rolling out changes to that preference.

FYI, screenshot is really easy to access - it's on the context menu of any web page.

Also we have a new place to offer suggestions and opinions - https://mozilla.crowdicity.com/

Mike

Andrew C Aitchison

Jun 8, 2021, 2:53:07 PM6/8/21
to Mozilla.org

On Mon, Jun 7, 2021 at 8:26 AM Thane K. Sherrington <th...@computerconnectionltd.com> wrote:
>> Perhaps I'm missing something here, but I'm not seeing a ton of "I love
>> the new layout!" messages on forums or from my clients. I am seeing a lot
>> of negative responses. I get that Mozilla used telemetry to guess how most
>> people used their browser and attempt to anticipate what they want, but it
>> doesn't seem to be working.

On Mon, 7 Jun 2021, Mike Kaply replied:
> The most unhappy people tend to be the loudest. People that are happy don't
> tend to say anything. And we've gotten tons of positive press about the
> changes.

Not sure you can verify this by measuring, but I imagine that those
who complain loudest may be the sort who turn telemetry off ...

--
Andrew C. Aitchison Kendal, UK
and...@aitchison.me.uk

Mike Kaply

Jun 8, 2021, 3:06:55 PM6/8/21
to Andrew C Aitchison, Mozilla.org
That's a whole separate discussion...

Mike

--
Andrew C. Aitchison                                     Kendal, UK
                        and...@aitchison.me.uk

Thane K. Sherrington

Jun 9, 2021, 11:57:16 AM6/9/21
to enter...@mozilla.org
Hi Mike,
    Clearly, I'm not as clever as I like to think I am. :)

    Am I right in thinking I use autoconfig.js to set these buttons?

    How do I set email-link-button inside browser.uiCustomization.state?

    Something like
        function pref(email-link-button,"true")
    ?

Thanks,

Thane K. Sherrington

Computer Connection, Ltd. ...taking the mystery out of computers since 1982.
Winner of the 2012 Ian Spencer - Excellence in Business Award
Thanks for making us the Reader's Choice Best Computer Store in 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019!
95 College St., Antigonish,
NS B2G 1X6
902-863-3361 (phone)
902-863-2580 (fax)
th...@computerconnectionltd.com

Mike Kaply

Jun 9, 2021, 12:02:14 PM6/9/21
to Thane K. Sherrington, Mozilla.org
Sorry I didn't give more info. browser.uiCustomizationState is a string with all your customizations.

So customize Firefox the way you want it, go to about:config and get that string and then use it in autoconfig (or set it via policy).

Unfortunately it's not very elegant. Better enterprise customization of toolbar is on my list, but hasn't moved up in priority.

Mike