Firefox ESR 102.0.1 is released

Pascal Chevrel

Jul 13, 2022, 7:27:42 AM7/13/22
to enter...@mozilla.org, announce

Hello,

We are pleased to announce that the Firefox ESR 102.0.1 release is now
available for download at:

https://www.mozilla.org/firefox/organizations/all/

As always, we recommend that users keep up to date with the newest version
of Firefox ESR for the latest stability and security fixes.

Release notes for Firefox 102.0.1esr are available at:

https://www.mozilla.org/firefox/102.0.1esr/releasenotes/

Thanks,

Pascal Chevrel

--
Pascal Chevrel
Firefox Release Manager

Osdoba, Sascha

Jul 14, 2022, 3:36:57 PM7/14/22
to enter...@mozilla.org

Hi,

may i am missing something and someone can shed some light on it.

We deploy our software via software deployment tool. Before we deployed every new firefox (esr) version like 91.7.0, 91.8.0 and so on.

We did it with edge the same way but then I changed edge update behavior and changed it to self updating and much less work now on edge

We keep our old update behavior for esr91 and want to try self updating with esr102.

I changed some GPO settings for 102 and now I see that the update is announced in firefox help and update will be displayed in upper right corner in firefox

cid:image001.png@01D897C7.937BCD80

double checked gpo policies, here my settings from registry

cid:image002.png@01D897C7.F32D7BC0

and this is my installation command line via software deployment:

msiexec /i "Firefox Setup 102.0esr.msi" DESKTOP_SHORTCUT=false INSTALL_MAINTENANCE_SERVICE=true PREVENT_REBOOT_REQUIRED=true /norestart /qn /l* "%windir%\logs\Firefox Setup 102.0esr_de.log"

I don’t see the Mozilla maintenance service under services.msc but I set it to true on installation and files for this service are there:

on my home device with non esr firefox v102, Mozilla maintenance service exists in services.msc

the content of "C:/Program Files/Mozilla Firefox/defaults/pref/channel-prefs.js":

pref("app.update.channel", "esr");

Any idea how to solve it?

Regards,

Sascha

Jul 18, 2022, 9:57:20 AM7/18/22
to Osdoba, Sascha, enter...@mozilla.org
Apologies, but I read through this and couldn't find exactly what the question/problem was.

Mike

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/mozilla.org/d/msgid/enterprise/7c62a26b41f349ae8d68db1cdcd45947%40gsi.de.

The Wanderer

Jul 18, 2022, 10:38:09 AM7/18/22
to enter...@mozilla.org
On 2022-07-18 at 09:57, Mike Kaply wrote:

> Apologies, but I read through this and couldn't find exactly what the
> question/problem was.

My guess is that the problem statement is implicit in the fact that the
message was sent as a reply in the thread about the release of ESR
102.0.1: that despite things being configured such that it apparently
should, ESR 102.0 is not self-updating to the newly-released ESR
102.0.1.

Or at greater length,something like:

"We've been deploying Firefox ESR updates manually, rather than using
Firefox's built-in self-updating mechanisms, but now we want to try
letting it self-update.

"We've deployed ESR 102, and it looks like things should be configured
to allow self-update to happen; the Mozilla Maintenance Service isn't
listed in services.msc, even though we specified the install-time option
to install that service, but its files do seem to be installed.

"However, even though ESR 102.0.1 has now been released, we aren't
seeing Firefox self-update to that version.

"Any idea how to get that fixed, so that Firefox does self-update to the
new version (and any future ESR versions that get released)?"

My own stab-in-the-dark guess at an answer would be based on a
half-remembered recollection of having learned at one point that if you
install Firefox in a way that disables installing the Mozilla
Maintenance Service, then install over top of it in a way that enables
installing that service, the latter install will not actually enable the
service.

However, I don't have any concrete recollections to base that on, much
less any citations - and even if it was once true, I don't have any way
to know whether or not it still is.

--
The Wanderer

progress depends on the unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw

signature.asc

Osdoba, Sascha

Jul 18, 2022, 1:30:01 PM7/18/22
to enter...@mozilla.org
Hi,

The Wanderer is absolutely right :) I thought I will deliver all necessary information but maybe it was too much.

my problem is that our new Firefox v102esr versions do not update themselves although I think all the necessary settings have been made. there is no Mozilla maintenance service.
On v91esr we installed with "INSTALL_MAINTENANCE_SERVICE=false" but now on 102esr we install with "INSTALL_MAINTENANCE_SERVICE=true".

The migration from v91 to v102 was done this way:

1. kill firefox.exe
2. uninstall 91esr silent
3. install 102esr with maintenance service

nothing special in my eyes

Regards,

Sascha

Jul 18, 2022, 2:03:20 PM7/18/22
to enter...@mozilla.org
i guess i solved it...

if you add parameter "INSTALL_MAINTENANCE_SERVICE=true" to install command line it will not be installed.

if I do not add it at all, maintenance service is installed. Do not ask me why but I saw that.

Now I will do 102.0.1esr installation on all testing devices and then probably next update will work automatically via maintenance service.

why is this page not available in English:
https://support.mozilla.org/de/kb/firefox-uber-msi-installationspakete-bereitstellen

-----------------------
Mozilla-Wartungsdienst deaktivieren - INSTALL_MAINTENANCE_SERVICE={true,false}
Auf false setzen, um den Mozilla-Wartungsdienst nicht zu installieren. In der Folge werden Benutzer nicht in der Lage sein, Firefox-Updates einzuspielen,
wenn sie keine Schreibrechte für das Installationsverzeichnis haben. Der Wert ist standardmäßig auf true gesetzt.
-----------------------

Regards,

Sascha

Jul 19, 2022, 2:51:11 PM7/19/22
to Osdoba, Sascha, enter...@mozilla.org
There is an English version.

I don't know why the URL changed for the German version, it's not supposed tol

That definitely sounds like a bug. Would you be willing to open a bug at bugzilla.mozilla.org?

Mike

Osdoba, Sascha

Jul 27, 2022, 10:38:49 AM7/27/22
to Mike Kaply, enter...@mozilla.org

Hi Mike,

i tried to reproduce but i wasnt able to do it on every device so maybe some local (device)problem or I did something wrong, I don’t know.

Installed 102.0.1 on every device and each was updated to 102.1.0 later. So it looks good now.

Regards,

Sascha