Mozilla Firefox say is not default browser

Florent Lagoda

Apr 19, 2021, 9:06:09 AM4/19/21
to Mozilla.org

Hi,

Mozilla Firefox is the as default for web-browser on Windows 10.

But on Firefox / Options it's say "Firefox isn't your default browser" (screenshot attachment).

Is it normal ? How can i resolve this (automatically on many computers) ?

Long time ago i use:

"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\uninstall\helper.exe" /SetAsDefaultAppUser

but not work on 78 esr

ff_default_browserOrNot.png

Maxime Accadia

Apr 19, 2021, 9:29:30 AM4/19/21
to Florent Lagoda, enterprise
Hi,

How did you set Firefox as the default browser ? Manually or through GPO ?

> "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\uninstall\helper.exe" /SetAsDefaultAppUser

This doesn't work anymore. Windows 10 does not allow programs and installers to modify default applications like it used to. AFAIK you can only do it through GPO or manually.

If you need to get rid of the "Firefox isn't your default browser" popup, ther is this : https://github.com/mozilla/policy-templates/blob/master/README.md#dontcheckdefaultbrowser

Maxime Accadia - Université Grenoble Alpes

Apr 19, 2021, 9:42:12 AM4/19/21
to Maxime Accadia, enterprise
Hi,
We use XML with Dism like this : Dism /online /Import-DefaultAppAssociations:defaultApps.xml
Yes i have set dontcheckdefaultbrowser in policies parameters to get around, but is it problem with Firefox who show not default whereas it is ? (bug)

Thane K. Sherrington

Apr 19, 2021, 9:59:49 AM4/19/21
to enter...@mozilla.org
How do you build the XML file?  Does it just do Firefox, or all apps?

Thanks,

Thane K. Sherrington

Computer Connection, Ltd. ...taking the mystery out of computers since 1982.
Winner of the 2012 Ian Spencer - Excellence in Business Award
Thanks for making us the Reader's Choice Best Computer Store in 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019!
95 College St., Antigonish,
NS B2G 1X6
902-863-3361 (phone)
902-863-2580 (fax)
th...@computerconnectionltd.com

Mike Kaply

Apr 19, 2021, 10:17:45 AM4/19/21
to Florent Lagoda, Mozilla.org
When you click Firefox in the Windows UI, are there any other versions of Firefox installed?

If you have multiple copies of Firefox installed, only one will say it's the default.

Otherwise, you should open a bug in bugzilla for this.

Mike Kaply

Florent Lagoda

Apr 20, 2021, 3:16:40 AM4/20/21
to Mike Kaply, Mozilla.org
Hi,
@Mike Not other Firefox installed. When i will have more time i do new test on fresh VM and test with and without dism to see if that's it who produce this.
@Thane XML default apps contains also Adobe Reader and Thunderbird.

ps : i receive digest for mozilla enterprise but not find how to reply only to one topic.
When i goes to the googles groups not have right to reply on. I reply on this because Mike put me in copy i have the mail aside.

Mike Kaply

Apr 20, 2021, 11:03:20 AM4/20/21
to Florent Lagoda, Mozilla.org
Yeah, please open a bug for this. This shouldn't be happening.

Mike

Pablo

Apr 20, 2021, 3:30:49 PM4/20/21
to enter...@mozilla.org, Florent Lagoda, Mike Kaply
I only receive e-mails from Mike Kaply.

I can read the rest only if Mike leaves them in the thread.

My trash folder is empty.

Does anyone have the same behavior?

Regards.

Thane K. Sherrington