sometimes Errors with bookmarks on Terminal servers

Burkhard Czerwinski

Sep 25, 2022, 6:27:18 PM9/25/22
to 'Kasper, Ryan V. [US-US]' via enterprise@mozilla.org

Hallo,

we use Firefox esr on our Windows terminal Servers.

Because we have many of them we use the Citrix profiling System.

Sometimes users get the error that the chronic System is not morking anymore.

And the given Solutions with deleting files is sometimes not working, because of blocked files.

Our solution is deleting the complete profile Folder an importing the bookmarks form an html backup (configured in the Startup file)

Can we do anything to Prevent These Errors. Because on our local Client the error never ocured.

Or is it possible to move the Profile to a Networkfolder? So that the profile isn´t copied on logoff and logon?

Regards

Burklhard

Gesendet von Mail für Windows

Mike Kaply

Sep 27, 2022, 11:59:22 AM9/27/22
to Burkhard Czerwinski, Mozilla.org
Can you post exactly the error you are seeing?

Is it from Firefox?

Burkhard Czerwinski

Sep 27, 2022, 6:01:57 PM9/27/22
to Mike Kaply, Mozilla.org

Firefox is Posting this line when starting:

„Das Lesezeichen- und Chronik-System wird nicht funktionieren, da einer der Dateien von Firefox von einer anderen Anwendung verwendet wird. Dieses Problem könnte von einer Sicherheitssoftware verursacht werden, beispielsweise von einem Virenscanner.“

Retranslating to englisch: „The bookmark and history system will not work because one of Firefox's files is being used by another application. This problem could be caused by security software, such as a virus scanner.“

And the users bookmarks are gone. Trying to restore them don´t work. If You open „manage bookmarks“  it is Kind of emty, not only without the bookmarks but also the left side.

The bookmark System is not working anymore. And You can then close and restart Firefox and nothing changes.

If i try to use the Bookmarbackups of this profile to restore the bookmarks to a new build profile Firefox tells he can´t Access the Backup-files.

So we use the saved HTML file with the bookmarks.

Our users have a kind of rooming profile managed by Citrix, So the Users profile won´t stay on the terminal Server.

I hope this helps.

Bookmarkproblem.png

Fjoerfoks

Sep 28, 2022, 5:39:43 AM9/28/22
to Burkhard Czerwinski, 'Kasper, Ryan V. [US-US]' via enterprise@mozilla.org
Hi Burkhard,

We have seen issues like this and had the impression that it was due to users logging off too fast which results in corrupted files. Sometimes writing to the profile folder can take some time.
Indeed it is possible to put their profile on a network drive like their personal Home folder, you'll need to provide this info in the parameter of the presented shortcut.
After the parameter '-profile' you can add any (network) location you like, e.g. H:\Mozilla, or %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\Firefox.
If it doesn't exist yet, it will be created.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Wim

Op ma 26 sep. 2022 00:27 schreef Burkhard Czerwinski <n...@buggy-c.de>:

Paul Kosinski

Sep 29, 2022, 11:15:57 AM9/29/22
to enter...@mozilla.org
"users logging off too fast which results in corrupted files" sounds like a race condition somewhere. Citrix? Windows? Firefox?