Remote policies.json

Dimas Streich (Informàtica ICS Girona)

Apr 8, 2021, 10:10:15 AM4/8/21
to Enterprise Working Group Mailing List (enterprise@mozilla.org)
Hi,

Let me ask you something about the police.json file though I don't know if it's a stupid question or not.

With Firefox <= 52 we used AutoConfig to distribute the settings. The peculiarity is that every time Firefox started it read the settings we had on a remote server, so updating this file the settings were automatically applied to all machines after restart Firefox.
We did this by having the mozilla.cfg of each machine point to the remote file as follows: lockPref ("autoadmin.global_config_url", "http: //intranet_server/firefox.js");

Is it possible to have the police.json file on a server and Firefox read it remotely?

What we do now is that, using netlogon, at each user login on Windows we copy this file locally. But it requires users to log in and is a step back from the previous settings.

Thx
--

Dimas Streich Colomeda
Unitat de Tecnologies de la Informació i Comunicació

Departament de Salut | Generalitat de Catalunya
Av.França s/n | 17007 Girona
dstreich....@gencat.cat | http://www.hospitaltrueta.cat
Instagram | Twitter | YouTube

Aquest missatge s'adreça exclusivament a la persona destinatària i pot contenir informació privilegiada o confidencial. Si no sou la persona destinatària indicada, us recordem que la utilització, divulgació i/o còpia sense autorització està prohibida en virtut de la legislació vigent. Si heu rebut aquest missatge per error, us demanem que ens ho feu saber immediatament per aquesta via i que el destruïu.

Mike Kaply

Apr 8, 2021, 10:30:42 AM4/8/21
to Dimas Streich (Informàtica ICS Girona), Enterprise Working Group Mailing List (enterprise@mozilla.org)
On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 9:10 AM Dimas Streich (Informàtica ICS Girona) <dstreich....@gencat.cat> wrote:
Hi,

Let me ask you something about the police.json file though I don't know if it's a stupid question or not.

With Firefox <= 52 we used AutoConfig to distribute the settings. The peculiarity is that every time Firefox started it read the settings we had on a remote server, so updating this file the settings were automatically applied to all machines after restart Firefox.
We did this by having the mozilla.cfg of each machine point to the remote file as follows: lockPref ("autoadmin.global_config_url", "http: //intranet_server/firefox.js");

Is it possible to have the police.json file on a server and Firefox read it remotely?

What we do now is that, using netlogon, at each user login on Windows we copy this file locally. But it requires users to log in and is a step back from the previous settings.

There is not. My expectation was that people that needed remote settings would use Windows Group Policy (or Intune).

We've thought about allowing setting policies.json via Autoconfig, but I haven't had a chance to work on that yet.

Mike

Thx
--

Dimas Streich Colomeda
Unitat de Tecnologies de la Informació i Comunicació

Departament de Salut | Generalitat de Catalunya
Av.França s/n | 17007 Girona
dstreich....@gencat.cat | http://www.hospitaltrueta.cat
Instagram | Twitter | YouTube

Aquest missatge s'adreça exclusivament a la persona destinatària i pot contenir informació privilegiada o confidencial. Si no sou la persona destinatària indicada, us recordem que la utilització, divulgació i/o còpia sense autorització està prohibida en virtut de la legislació vigent. Si heu rebut aquest missatge per error, us demanem que ens ho feu saber immediatament per aquesta via i que el destruïu.

Dimas Streich (Informàtica ICS Girona)

Apr 8, 2021, 10:41:26 AM4/8/21
to enter...@mozilla.org
Thx for answering. Is there a bug on bugzilla to follow a possible future feature for that?

Eddie Rowe

Apr 8, 2021, 7:43:16 PM4/8/21
to Dimas Streich (Informàtica ICS Girona), Enterprise Working Group Mailing List (enterprise@mozilla.org)

I use Windows group policy to maintain the policies.json file under C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\distribution\ folder so that it is always up-to-date.  Since we are ONLY using the policies.json file to setup things, the Windows group policy is actually a group policy preference that updates the file as opposed to using the GPO templates that Mozilla provides.  I also maintain the autoconfig.js file and the Mozilla.cfg file with the same group policy.  This group policy is a computer policy so it applies independent of a user login.