Firefox on RDS server created a new user profile at each update

Gael Charpentier

Sep 22, 2022, 10:03:49 AM9/22/22
to enter...@mozilla.org
Hello,

Within our organization, we have a farm of 4 RDS servers on which Firefox is installed. About fifty employees work on these RDS.

The problem is that each time Firefox is updated, it fails to take over the user's profile and create a new one.

Each time we are forced to manually retrieve saved favorites and identifiers.

Is this problem due to a bug in the software, or is there a setting that can be changed to prevent this problem?

Thanks a lot

Mike Kaply

Sep 22, 2022, 10:15:52 AM9/22/22
to Gael Charpentier, enter...@mozilla.org
It sounds like the Firefox updates are not being placed in the same directory as the previous one, so we think each one needs a unique profile:

You can use the policy LegacyProfiles or set the environment variable MOZ_LEGACY_PROFILES

It might be worth opening a bug in bugzilla, though, so we can research further.

Mike

Fjoerfoks

Sep 22, 2022, 10:19:09 AM9/22/22
to enter...@mozilla.org
Hi,

It also depends on the type of shortcut you are providing to the users.
We create a specific profile for each user in their %APPDATA% folder and use that as a parameter in the presented shortcut.

Wim