FF 91 : customizing default sites on NewTab page

Maxime Accadia

Sep 8, 2021, 5:41:00 AM9/8/21
to enterprise
Hi,

For those interested in customizing the default sites on the newtab page : I had to set browser.topsites.useRemoteSetting : false in FF 91 ESR ; this wasn't needed in FF 78 ESR.

Here is an example for policies.json :

[...]
"Preferences": {
      "browser.newtabpage.pinned": {
        "Value" : "[{\"url\":\"https://univ-grenoble-alpes.fr\",\"label\":\"UGA\",\"searchTopSite\":false}]",
        "Status": "default"
      },
      "browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.improvesearch.topSiteSearchShortcuts": {
        "Value" : false,
        "Status": "default"
      },
      "browser.topsites.useRemoteSetting": {
        "Value": false,
        "Status": "default"
      },
      "browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.default.sites": {
        "Value" : "https://univ-grenoble-alpes.fr/,https://intranet.univ-grenoble-alpes.fr/",
        "Status": "default"
      }
    }
[...]

Regards,

Maxime Accadia - Université Grenoble Alpes

Jason Jackson

Oct 15, 2021, 8:12:12 PM10/15/21
to enter...@mozilla.org

Thanks Maxime.  I ran in to the same problem just trying to set “browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.default.sites” to an empty string.

I’m curious what exactly “browser.topsites.useRemoteSetting” is though…

Jason Jackson

Computer Network Engineer

North Vancouver School District

Oct 18, 2021, 11:14:09 AM10/18/21
to Jason Jackson, enter...@mozilla.org
You can see the bug here:

Basically we made it so that topsites can be set remotely versus hardcoding them. So yes, this new pref is needed now.

Mike

Jason Jackson

Sep 13, 2022, 5:22:02 PM9/13/22
to Mike Kaply, enter...@mozilla.org

Hi Mike,

Was the FirefoxHome policy “SponsoredTopSites” added to address the issue below?  In other words, if I set this to false, does it replace setting browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.default.sites to an empty string, and/or setting browser.topsites.useRemoteSetting to false?

cid:image001.jpg@01D86935.6CFB95C0

Jason Jackson

Systems & Network Administrator

North Vancouver School District #44

2121 Lonsdale Avenue

North Vancouver, BC  V7M 2K6

jasonj...@sd44.ca

tel: 604.903.3444 ext. 16246

cell: 778.228.5487

Mike Kaply

Sep 19, 2022, 11:37:03 AM9/19/22
to Jason Jackson, enter...@mozilla.org
SponsoredTopSites was only added control this checkbox:

image.png
It lets you turn off the sponsored tiles that appear in topsites:

image.png
It doesn't affect the other top sites.

Mike