How to disable pages shown after installing Firefox ESR 78

Tiago Marques Delboni

Apr 27, 2021, 2:44:46 PM4/27/21
to enter...@mozilla.org

Hi!

After installing Firefox ESR 78 in our enviroment, in the first run, it displays a message box titled "Important News" stating that "This installation of Firefox has a new profile. I does not share bookmarks, passwords and so on..." .

Moreover, it opens two tabs:

1. Changes to your Firefox profile

2. Firefox Privacy Notice: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/privacy/firefox/

How can I get rid of all of them?

Using "OverrideFirstRunPage" police only replaces the "Welcome to Firefox" default page, shown the second time Firefox is executed.

Thanks!

--

Tiago Marques Delboni
Gerência de Aplicações e Suporte a Clientes / GTI

Assembleia Legislativa de Minas Gerais Facebook da Assembleia Twitter da Assembleia Instagram da Assembleia Youtube da Assembleia

Mike Kaply

Apr 27, 2021, 3:02:51 PM4/27/21
to Tiago Marques Delboni, Mozilla.org
On Tue, Apr 27, 2021 at 1:44 PM Tiago Marques Delboni <tiago....@almg.gov.br> wrote:

Hi!

After installing Firefox ESR 78 in our enviroment, in the first run, it displays a message box titled "Important News" stating that "This installation of Firefox has a new profile. I does not share bookmarks, passwords and so on..." .

This is caused by another Firefox install being in a different directory so Firefox uses a new profile.

If you are on Windows, you can set the policy LegacyProfiles and it will use the same profile.

Moreover, it opens two tabs:

1. Changes to your Firefox profile

My guess is this is related to the first one. I would need to see what it looks like.
For this notice, you can either turn off Firefox Accounts via policy or set the preference:

datareporting.policy.dataSubmissionPolicyBypassNotification

to true using the preferences policy

How can I get rid of all of them?

Using "OverrideFirstRunPage" police only replaces the "Welcome to Firefox" default page, shown the second time Firefox is executed.

Thanks!

--

Tiago Marques Delboni
Gerência de Aplicações e Suporte a Clientes / GTI
(31) 2108-7700

Assembleia Legislativa de Minas Gerais Facebook da Assembleia Twitter da Assembleia Instagram da Assembleia Youtube da Assembleia

Tiago Marques Delboni

Apr 28, 2021, 8:24:38 AM4/28/21
to Mike Kaply, Mozilla.org

Hi Mike

Before FF 78esr 64-bit we had FF 60esr 64-bit installed in "Program Files (x86)", where once was FF 52esr 32-bit. Now we're fixing this mess uninstalling FF60esr and installing FF 78esr 64-bit in "Program Files" with a fresh profile (LegacyProfiles off).

1. Please check the screens here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1zGOxsMh6HnwoXLna6AIskViu_TAnmAVR?usp=sharing

2. Thanks!

Mike Kaply

Apr 28, 2021, 11:14:05 AM4/28/21
to Tiago Marques Delboni, Mozilla.org
The only way to prevent this message is to either set LegacyProfiles to true to use the same profile or to delete the old profiles.

You can completely delete C:\Users\USERNAME \AppData\Roaming\Mozilla, C:\Users\USERNAME \AppData\Local\Mozilla, and C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\LocalLow\Mozilla if you are not going to reuse the old profiles.

Mike