The Econometric Model for Causal Policy Analysis | 9am PT Tues Jan 16

Grigory Bronevetsky

Jan 12, 2024, 1:40:22 AMJan 12
to ta...@modelingtalks.org

Grigory Bronevetsky brone...@modelingtalks.org

Fri, Jan 5, 7:51 PM (6 days ago)
to talks

image.pngModeling Talks

The Econometric Model for Causal Policy Analysis

Rodrigo Pinto, UCLA

image.png

Tuesday, Jan 16 | 9am PT

Meet | Youtube Stream

Hi all,

The presentation will be via Meet and all questions will be addressed there. If you cannot attend live, the event will be recorded and can be found afterward at
https://sites.google.com/modelingtalks.org/entry/the-econometric-model-for-causal-policy-analysis

Abstract:
This presentation will focus on the econometric model of causal policy analysis and two alternative frameworks that are popular in statistics and computer science. By employing the alternative frameworks uncritically, economists ignore the substantial advantages of an econometric approach, and this results in less informative analyses of economic policy. I will show that the econometric approach to causality enables economists to characterize and analyze a wider range of policy problems than is allowed by alternative approaches.

Bio:
I am an Assistant Professor of Economics at UCLA and a research affiliate of the Human Capital and Economic Opportunity Global Working Group (HCEO) and the NBER. My research interests include policy evaluation, causality, and applied econometrics. A common theme in my work is the identification, estimation, and inference of causal effects. Recently, I have focused on using revealed preference analysis to improve causal inference in social experiments and on applying machine learning techniques to perform policy evaluations. I have examined various social experiments, including the Perry Preschool Intervention, the High/Scope Comparison Study, the Abecedarian Project, the Nurse-Family Partnership, the Jamaican Intervention, Programa Primeira Infância Melhor in Brazil, Oportunidades in Mexico, and Moving to Opportunity. Additionally, I have investigated observational data from several countries, including the US, Germany, and China. I have worked on approximately two dozen research articles, which have been cited over 9,400 times.

More information on previous and future talks: https://sites.google.com/modelingtalks.org/entry/home