Announcement: M-Lab is now publishing Cloudflare's network quality data

Lai Yi Ohlsen

Apr 24, 2023, 4:12:03 PM4/24/23
to discuss
Hi everyone,

I'm happy to share that M-Lab is now publishing Cloudflare’s Aggregated Internet Measurement (AIM) dataset, which includes and builds upon the data produced by speed.cloudflare.com. You can read more about our partnership with Cloudflare and our mutual goal of measuring network quality to better understand the end-user experience on both Cloudflare and M-Lab's blog.

And good news, if you're reading this message, you already have access to the data. Subscription to the dis...@measurementlab.net list is all you need to start querying our public BigQuery dataset. You can test your access and view a sample query here. In the coming weeks we'll be working on more documentation and example use cases.

I'm also personally excited to note that in addition to publishing open data, Cloudflare has open-sourced their speed test client, thereby providing another open source methodology that can be used to measure Internet performance and enabling the collection of even more open data, all of which will be accessible via M-Lab's public BigQuery.

If you use the new data and find it useful or have feedback, we'd love to know about it! Feel free to reach out to me directly or in reply to the list.

Have a great week!

--
Lai Yi Ohlsen

Livingood, Jason

Apr 24, 2023, 4:44:47 PM4/24/23
to Lai Yi Ohlsen, discuss

Lai Yi Ohlsen

Apr 24, 2023, 4:46:49 PM4/24/23
to Livingood, Jason, discuss
Hey Jason,

Thanks for the quick try :)

Can you send a screenshot of what you're seeing? And quick check that you're accessing BigQuery with the same e-mail address that you're subscribed to the discuss@ list with?

Carlos Rodrigues

Apr 27, 2023, 8:22:50 AM4/27/23
to discuss, discuss
Hi,

This query aggregates data from a country and/or a list of ASNs and can also serve as an example of how to use this schema to get numbers for download, upload, latency (idle/loaded), jitter (idle/loaded), and a (crude) bufferbloat score:

https://console.cloud.google.com/bigquery?sq=754187384106:90a7eff821f840468e3fb249a71c6f7d

Dave Taht

Apr 27, 2023, 9:33:22 AM4/27/23
to Carlos Rodrigues, discuss
On Thu, Apr 27, 2023 at 5:22 AM Carlos Rodrigues <cefrod...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This query aggregates data from a country and/or a list of ASNs and can also serve as an example of how to use this schema to get numbers for download, upload, latency (idle/loaded), jitter (idle/loaded), and a (crude) bufferbloat score:
>
> https://console.cloud.google.com/bigquery?sq=754187384106:90a7eff821f840468e3fb249a71c6f7d

This is great. Unfortunately I am not familiar enough with this
interface to actually run a query!

I appreciate the shoutout to various sqm techniques in the query also.
I have never had a picture of how fully this deployed, despite
essentially being on by default on most ubnt, mikrotik, google wifi
devices, riverbed, and openwrt/gamer routers worldwide.

Grouping sub 60Mbit connections together might help cut wifi out of the loop.

At a per AS-scale, I am under the impression that the Preseem fq_codel
middlebox has somewhere between 15%-40% penetration in the USA/Canada
wisp market. Two known ASes for universal CAKE (libreqos-based)
deployment are AS45230 in NZ, and AS397709 in the USA. (I have a few
dozen more but not permission to publish). Shaping the downward
direction properly at the ISP ingress from the internet at a shaping
middlebox, rather than via inbound shaping in SQM, usually leads to
pretty nice results on various other tests.

I have a second theory that I would like to confirm, in that folk that
do speedtests are disinclined to run them when the network is running
well, so trying to compare similar size ISPs w or w/o SQM-like
solutions in place might be interesting.

I will try to get more before/afters from this tool on future libreqos
installs! We are down to where a small ISP can get it running
partially in minutes, and fully, over a weekend, and doing a couple a
week now. ( https://github.com/LibreQoE/LibreQoS/releases/tag/v1.4-rc6
)

--
AMA March 31: https://www.broadband.io/c/broadband-grant-events/dave-taht
Dave Täht CEO, TekLibre, LLC

Lai Yi Ohlsen

Apr 27, 2023, 10:02:56 AM4/27/23
to Dave Taht, Carlos Rodrigues, discuss
Hey Dave,

Great to get your thoughts here. On running the query:

If you are logged into Google Cloud with the email address you receive this mailing lists emails on, you should see a blue button that says "Run" at the top which will run the query for you. Then there is a button in the Action column that says 'View Results'. Carlos has provided comments to help structure the query to your interests.

Let me know if you have issues!

Dave Taht

Apr 27, 2023, 10:21:52 AM4/27/23
to Lai Yi Ohlsen, Carlos Rodrigues, discuss
On Thu, Apr 27, 2023 at 7:02 AM Lai Yi Ohlsen <la...@measurementlab.net> wrote:

> Hey Dave,
>
> Great to get your thoughts here. On running the query:
>
> If you are logged into Google Cloud with the email address you receive this mailing lists emails on, you should see a blue button that says "Run" at the top which will run the query for you. Then there is a button in the Action column that says 'View Results'. Carlos has provided comments to help structure the query to your interests.

that is great! there is a paucity of tests against the ASes I know
about, which I will try to address in the coming months.

Carlos Rodrigues

Jun 29, 2023, 11:16:58 AM6/29/23
to discuss, la...@measurementlab.net
Hi all,

Cloudflare Radar now has an "Internet Quality" section where most of the visualizations are based on the same speed test data that's being published raw through M-Lab since April.

Comments are welcome. 👋

Aditya Bej

Feb 23, 2024, 8:14:44 AMFeb 23
to discuss, crodr...@cloudflare.com, la...@measurementlab.net
Is there a way to check data for individual states rather than entire countries in the cloudfare link you have provided?

Thanks,
Aditya

Carlos Rodrigues

Feb 26, 2024, 2:55:27 PMFeb 26
to discuss, aditya...@gmail.com, Carlos Rodrigues, la...@measurementlab.net
Currently, no. Cloudflare Radar does not expose Internet quality data at the region/state level, even though you can find the region/state in the raw data that's being published through M-Lab.

Best regards,
Carlos