GSoC 2023: MDAnalysis

Rony J. Letona

Mar 7, 2023, 11:29:46 AM3/7/23
to gs...@mdanalysis.org
Dear MDAnalysis Team,

My name is Rony J. Letona and I'm currently a master's student in theoretical chemistry (EMTCCM) at Universidad Autónoma de Madrid. I am reaching out to express my interest in participating in Google Summer of Code 2023 with MDAnalysis.

My career has led me to have a strong interest in MD simulations, and I believe that MDAnalysis can become the de facto Python library to analyze the outputs of MD runs. My interest was piqued when reading about the functionality of the library, and I am excited to learn more about its capabilities and contribute to its development.

On my end, I have experience with Python programming and I am currently working on my master's thesis, which uses MD. I would like to work on a project that involves the development of new features or improvements to existing ones. After reviewing your 5 proposals for GSoC, I say that I'm interested in all of them except project 4.

Since I'm about to finish the MSc, I'd like to work on a midsize project, in order to have time for this and the thesis. Nevertheless, if this is not possible, I'm open to discuss a long project.

Finally, I would be honored to have the opportunity to work with the MDAnalysis team and contribute to the library. I am available to discuss any ideas and answer all questions you may have.

Thank you for considering my application.

Sincerely,
--
                                       Rony J. Letona

Estefania Ojeda

Mar 7, 2023, 12:57:54 PM3/7/23
to MDAnalysis Google Summer of Code, zro...@gmail.com
Hola Rony,

Welcome to MDAnalysis!

Thanks for expressing your interest in our projects! If you are familiar with MDAnalysis and you are interested in contributing, please check the contributing section of the User Guide:
https://userguide.mdanalysis.org/stable/contributing.html . Otherwise, please follow the MDAnalysis User Guide: https://userguide.mdanalysis.org/stable/index.html

There are detailed explanations on how to set up a developer environment https://userguide.mdanalysis.org/stable/contributing_code.html and how to contribute to the MDAnalysis codebase. This is a great starting point to start contributing to MDAnalysis and trying to solve some of the open issues.

Our blog post https://www.mdanalysis.org/2023/02/22/gsoc2023/ is the starting point for all GSoC 2023 things. We have a FAQ page as well https://github.com/MDAnalysis/mdanalysis/wiki/GSoC-FAQ

We are looking forward to your contributions!

Best,
Estefania