General Project Proposal Questions + More About Me

Xu Hong Chen

Feb 27, 2023, 8:17:19 PM2/27/23
to MDAnalysis Google Summer of Code

Hi again,

It is nice to see how lively the group has gotten! I have read through the GSoC FAQ a few times and I thought I would ask my general project proposal questions here as others may find them useful too.

1. Where would be the best place to ask individual questions or request more personalized feedback on my proposal before the application opens? Does MDAnalysis prefer those discussions go here or on Discord?

2. Would I share my draft as a Google doc here, on Discord, or through some other means? Or would it be better to wait for the application window to open and discuss there?

3. Do you have any guidelines for how long a good proposal might be, and is there any page limit?

4. Do you have any formatting and content preferences beyond what is on Google’s GSoC Guide and the MDAnalysis GSoC pages on GitHub?

5. Google states that it is permissible to submit up to three proposals, but what is MDAnalysis’ stance on this? I was thinking I might submit a second proposal if I finish my first and feel I have given it my best effort.

------------------------------------------------End of General Questions---------------------------------------------------

I also read in that FAQ that you might be interested in hearing more about my background, so I wanted to share some details here. As a member of the Spyracopoulos Lab at the University of Alberta, I took charge of the MD side of our research on the molecular mechanism of Hsp90. I constructed 5 atomic models in PyMOL and conducted extensive classical and steered molecular dynamics (MD) simulations using AMBER for 5 protein mutants: apo and ATP-bound Hsp90 S3CYF N-domains, apo and ATP-bound Hsp90 S3CYF/F6D/F8D N-domains, and intact, ATP-bound Hsp90 S3CYF to investigate the energetic cost of strap release. I then validated experimental NMR data by using CPPTRAJ to calculate theoretical NMR parameters from MD data. While these were my personal contributions, everyone involved played a pivotal role in our work as a lab, and one of the undergraduates I trained did much of the work on the ATP-bound Hsp90 S3CYF/F6D/F8D N-domain mutant, while the other did important work on a different intact chaperone mutant for a newer project.

You can find some examples of my work here:

1.      Honors Thesis (Not Yet Published, Publication Will Have Updated Data)

2.      64th Canadian Society for Molecular Biosciences (CSMB/SCBM) Conference on Protein Homeostasis Poster (Second Author, Data in the Poster Was Still Preliminary) (Link to Conference Website)

I also presented at the Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry 54th Annual Summer Students’ Research Day. I initially became involved in the computational sciences because I was intrigued by computational research, and in turn, that work inspired me to pursue computer science (CS). I want to learn how to write scientific software like AMBER and MDAnalysis, understand high-performance computing systems and how to optimize them, and implement software for individuals and researchers. I have used Python and C in my introductory CS coursework but I am new to open source. I have been enjoying the process of contributing to MDAnalysis and am looking forward to learning and helping more!

Thank you for taking the time to read through all this!

Sincerely,

Xu Hong (GitHub: xhgchen)

Oliver Beckstein

Feb 27, 2023, 8:31:01 PM2/27/23
to MDAnalysis GSoC List
Hi Xu Hong,

I hope that’s a good way to address you; I use two names because that’s how you signed your email but please let me (us) know if you prefer to be addressed differently.

Some quick replies inline below; perhaps other mentors can add their own views.

On Feb 27, 2023, at 6:17 PM, Xu Hong Chen <xhg...@gmail.com> wrote:

1. Where would be the best place to ask individual questions or request more personalized feedback on my proposal before the application opens? Does MDAnalysis prefer those discussions go here or on Discord?

General discussions about the project ideas would be best conducted on the gsoc list or the #gsoc discord channel, just because they could be useful for many contributors.

Specifically for your proposal: We prefer a Google doc where you give commenting permissions and then mentors can comment there. See next question, too.

2. Would I share my draft as a Google doc here, on Discord, or through some other means? Or would it be better to wait for the application window to open and discuss there?

When the application period opens, you can put a link to a Google Doc in your application. The mentors can then use that link. You don’t have to share it in discord or the mailing list.

We will likely not look at any proposals before the application window opens as we’re busy with reviewing PRs and generally answering questions.

3. Do you have any guidelines for how long a good proposal might be, and is there any page limit?

See https://github.com/MDAnalysis/mdanalysis/wiki/GSoC-FAQ#how-long-is-a-proposal — in general we like to see sufficient details to be able to evaluate if the approach will be successful and if the applicant has sufficient understanding of the problem. There’s no penalty for writing a longer proposal.

4. Do you have any formatting and content preferences beyond what is on Google’s GSoC Guide and the MDAnalysis GSoC pages on GitHub?

Our FAQ contains pretty much everything.

5. Google states that it is permissible to submit up to three proposals, but what is MDAnalysis’ stance on this? I was thinking I might submit a second proposal if I finish my first and feel I have given it my best effort.

You can submit multiple proposals to MDAnalysis, e.g., one for your own idea and one for a project from the ideas list. However, make sure that BOTH proposals are as good as you can make them — two mediocre proposal are much worse than one really good one.

Oliver

--
Oliver Beckstein (he/his/him)

GitHub: @orbeckst

MDAnalysis – a NumFOCUS fiscally sponsored project

Xu Hong Chen

Mar 1, 2023, 12:50:14 AM3/1/23
to MDAnalysis Google Summer of Code, Oliver Beckstein
Hi Oliver,

Xu Hong is correct; it is kind of you to ask. Thank you answering all my questions! I am sure other contributors will find the answers helpful too.

I am looking forward to seeing all the new fixes and updates that will come in the following months!

Best regards,
Xu Hong