This Week's Pulse - June 14 - 21, 2024

McFarland United Church of Christ

Jun 14, 2024, 6:30:39 PMJun 14
to pulse-...@mcfarlanducc.org
MUCC News & Events

June 14 - 21, 2024

"I will put my teaching in their minds and write it on their hearts..."
Jeremiah 31:33
mcfarlanducc.org

Calendar of Upcoming Events

Below are the weekly programs. You can find brief descriptions of these weekly programs on our website. Clickable links are in blue and italicized.

SUNDAY Morning Worship, 10 am in person and via Zoom

https://zoom.us/j/97010988439 Password: betogether

SUNDAY, 11:30 a.m. Bible Study in person and on Zoom

https://zoom.us/j/262314649

MONDAY - FRIDAY, 8 am Morning Devotion

https://zoom.us/j/94276813637

In Case of Rain This Sunday!

As you'll see below, this Sunday, June 16th, is our first outdoor worship service of this summer. The forecast includes a strong possibility of rain this Sunday however. If things look questionable Sunday morning, we will post any changes at about 8 a.m. both on our website and as a special email. If you don't receive and email with an update then just assume we'll be outside!

Below are the upcoming non-weekly events on the calendar happening at McFarland UCC for about the next month. All events are on the McFarland UCC calendar with Zoom links and additional information in the details/description area. Click the event on the McFarland UCC calendar to see the details.

Sunday, June 16, 10:00 am Outdoor Worship Service

Wednesday, June 19, NO Office Hours (There will be office hours on Thursday, June 20.)

Thursday, June 20, NO NION Monthly Meeting

Sunday, June 23, 10:00 am - 4:00 pm Pride in the Park, William McFarland Park - McFarland UCC is a sponsor. Visit our table!

Tuesday, July 2, 6:30 - 8:00 pm, Racial Justice Team Monthly Meeting, (In person & Online), Multipurpose Room

Sunday, July 7, 10:00 am Worship, Birthday and Communion Sunday

Sunday, July 7, 5:30 - 7:00 pm Teen Youth Monthly Meeting, Fellowship Area

Wednesday, July 10, 6:30 - 7:30 pm, Healing Prayer Service (In person & Online), Sanctuary

Thursday, July 11, 6:00 - 8:00 pm, SaLT Monthly Meeting, (In person & Online), Multipurpose Room

Sunday, July 14, 5:30 - 6:45 pm, Younger Youth Monthly Meeting, Fellowship Area

Tuesday, July 16, 6:30 - 8:00 pm, Creation Care Team Bi-Monthly Meeting, (In person & Online), Multipurpose Room

Prayer Requests? Contact Jean Duchrow or Lavon Geasland.

Thank you to this weekend's volunteers!

Ushers/Greeters: Georgia Lyon & Unknown volunteer(s?)

Hospitality Hosts: Tracy Donohue, Lynn Belleau, Joan Jacobsen & Julie Woodward

News at McFarland UCC

(Note: Clickable links are blue and italicized.)

Our 1st Outdoor Worship Service of the Season: This Sunday!

June 16 at 10:00 a.m.

Get ready for a beautiful time of worship as outdoor worship services take place on the 3rd Sunday of each month this summer! Mark June 16, July 21, August 18, and September 17. (In case of inclement weather, services will be indoors of course.) These services offer a refreshing change of scenery from the usual church setting, allowing you to connect with your faith in the great outdoors. Bring a chair (if you can), water, a hat, sunscreen, and any other outdoor supplies you'd like to have on hand.

Summer Solstice Fire Ceremony!

Saturday, June 22nd, 7-9 p.m.

Join us at our church fire pit for a powerful Summer Solstice Fire Ceremony led jointly by members of our congregation and by our Shamanic Practitioner Friend Jessica Riphenburg. These have been growing each year and are wonderful experiences of unity, healing, and hope as we celebrate the Light of the longest day of the year. Bring a lawn chair if you like, but we'll also have folding chairs available. All ages welcome. Bring a friend! There is no charge but we there's always an opportunity to make an offering in support of Jessica's wonderful work.

McFarland Pride in the Park

Sunday, June 23, 10 am - 4 pm

Every Sunday morning members and visitors are welcomed with the words “No matter who you are, no matter where you are on life’s journey, you are welcome here”. These are the words of an open and affirming church. This is who we are at McFarland UCC!

In support of this, we are a proud sponsor of the second annual "Pride in the Park" on Sunday, June 23 at William McFarland Park (McFarland Soccer Complex). This family-friendly event is from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm Events include yoga, yard games, crafts, food carts and vendors, and live music. Come for an hour or stay all day!

We need your help! We will have an informational table and are seeking volunteers from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm. This is a great opportunity to share with the rest of McFarland what a wonderful, friendly, and open church community we have at McFarland UCC. If you are available to spend an hour or more at our table please sign up after church. Please contact Lynn Belleau at 608-217-0697 or lovein...@yahoo.com or Judy Taber at 608-215-4161 or judy...@gmail.com with any questions.

Volunteer!

Check your calendars and volunteer to help on a Sunday as an usher/greeter (sign up) or a kitchen/hospitality host (sign up). We love our volunteers!

Lost and Found

There are MORE items in the "Lost and Found" basket located in the coat area:

Blanket

Bracelet

Earring

Cleaning cloth for eyeglasses (maroon)

Cooler

Prescription glasses

Thermal mug/cup

Water bottle

Yoga block

Yoga mat

Check the basket to see if they are yours. Unclaimed items to be donated 7/1/2024.

Weekly Creation Care Tips -

Reduce/Reuse/Recycle

This week’s Tip: Reduce:  It’s Father’s Day weekend and that means high grilling season. An article in The Atlantic (7/9/2021) “The Greenest Way to Grill” provides some great information. While dads/grill masters everywhere debate the best way to grill, “let’s start with a small comfort: grilling has a negligible carbon impact in the U.S., regardless of how it’s powered. Of greater ecological concern is what you grill; cows raised for the production of burgers & steaks contribute 14.5% of global greenhouse gas emissions each year. For dads who won’t appreciate grilled tofu, consider poultry or pork which have a much lower emission rate.” Or grill that steak for Dad’s special day but consider an alternative next time. Happy Father’s Day!

A Few Words from Pastor Bryan

...and my son Sam and his family

I was able to spend some time with my son Sam and his family in Ft. Collins, Colorado during my May Sabbatical month. He just turned 40 on May 10th. Wow. Yeah. The years do fly by.

As Father's Day approaches this weekend, I'm fresh off the joy of just watching my son be a father to his two sons. Jack turns 10 this week and Arthur is 5. There's no one magic moment that sticks out really. Just lots of kind, gentle, loving interactions I got to watch and soak in and be a part of. And sure, I was there just long enough to catch some moments of tension and conflict as well--they are real people with a real family after all.

Sam is a lot more "inward" and reserved than my daughter Emma. He doesn't extend himself all that easily to others, and he doesn't "suffer fools" easily either. Even as a child he could be thrown off center pretty easily by someone else's, well, "stupidity." Sam is REALLY smart. Not everyone else is. He was often offended by that. I say that with a smile on my face. You had to know him to get the humor in that. But people just kind of had a tendency to annoy him because they "should get a clue!"--it made it kind of difficult to be Sam in a lot of ways. Being around people just seemed take more from him than it gave to him. He was pretty much wired that way from the get-go.

Somehow, by the grace of God (though he might use other language), Sam began to realize that it was time for him to evolve a bit. He caught himself being a jerk (his word) far too often to people by the time he was reaching the end of college. He didn't like the way it made him feel about himself, and he could tell he was often hurting people unnecessarily. He didn't want to hurt people, but they just annoyed him so much!

So he made a decision to change. He and I talked about it from time to time. I admired his self-awareness. He pushed himself out of his comfort zone, and it was amazing how "life" (I might use other language) tended to bring him the people and circumstances he needed to grow. Because he wanted to grow.

Sam's always been spiritual in his own soulful and beautiful way, but as he often put it, he's never been ready to make a commitment to following Jesus or any particular spiritual path. He's always said he has too much respect for Jesus, for God (whoever or whatever God is), and for people he knows who embrace their spiritual path with all their heart to pretend that he's a serious spiritual seeker. So he doesn't pretend. But he has been a seeker. In his own way. And from time to time, he asks for help with it. In his own way. He's kind of private about that.

I watched Sam with his sons a couple of weeks ago. I watched him comfort Jack one time when Jack had a "crumple" as we've always called it in our family. I can't remember what the crumple was about. But Jack was really upset. He'd been out in the neighborhood playing and someone had done something that was unfair and unkind to him. Someone had been a jerk to him. He came unglued. Sam picked him up and held him with such tenderness and love it brought a tear to my eye. I listened to him honor Jack's feelings and talk him through it all until the world was safe enough for Jack to go back outside and risk facing the neighborhood once again.

It was beautiful watching Sam father his son in that way. His ability to talk to Jack about how people and life aren't always fair, but how sometimes we need to not hold it against people because we don't really even know why they say what they say. Maybe they were having a hard day, and maybe they didn't even mean to be hurtful. Or if they did, well, we know who we are anyway, and we're not going to give them the power to make us feel bad about ourselves. His kind, strong, father love just wrapped around his son like a warm blanket.

Very early the next morning, Sam was at the hospital where he works the night shift as a nurse. His wife was still in bed sleeping, and Jack and I were up first, reading in the living room. Little 5 year old Arthur woke up and wandered into the living room. He knew his dad was gone, and he mistakenly thought his mom was at work. And grandpa--well let's just say grandpa was "not the mama," and not yet someone Arthur was going to feel comfortable crumpling into. And so Arthur started to cry unconsolably.

Until... until big brother Jack picked Arthur up and put him next to him on the couch and snuggled up next to him. Jack put his arms around Arthur and started talking to him with so much understanding and tenderness it brought a tear to my eye. He honored Arthur's feelings and talked with him and read to him and got his mind on other things. He assured him that mom was home and just sleeping and that she'd be awake and with us soon. Before long Arthur was smiling and ready to actually risk facing the new day.

You know the more the years go by, the more I understand why the Dali Lama would say something like, "My religion is kindness." I find myself feeling the depth of the big, comprehensive statements in Scripture like Micah 6:8--"What does God require of you O human but to do justice (fairness), love kindness, and walk humbly with God," and Jesus telling us--just express your love for God by treating people the way you yourself would like to be treated.

My son and his family don't go to church or participate in any "organized religion." But the Dali Lama's kindness, and the prophet Micah's reminders of the importance of fairness, kindness, and humility, and the Golden Rule of Jesus are all FLOWING in that home and family. Yes, I do hope they find a sense of community and support in addition to their nuclear family, and that they continue to explore their spirituality in a way that's Real and True for them. And sure, I'd love it if they found a church that somehow opened up the teachings of Jesus and the Judeo-Christian vision to them in a way that is truly beautiful and life-giving.

But wherever people are loving and supporting each other as they do, and passing that down through generations because that kindness and love are the air that is breathed in that household-- Wherever dads and moms are embodying kindness and fairness and humility in such a way that it flows into the next generation and from sibling to sibling and from family to neighborhood...

God is Present.

Way to go Sam. You're such a good dad, and your dad is so proud of you. And the God I sometimes call Father, who taught me how to be a father to you, and who offers the Divine Embrace of Tender Kindness through your fathering love, and who is teaching your sons how to love each other and perhaps become fathers themselves someday... well it's all just too amazing for words.

And yes of course the Mothering Love of God and human mothers is beyond words wonderful too! But we're leaning toward Father's Day, you know...

Hope to see you all at church in person or on zoom this Sunday,

Pastor Bryan

608-838-9322

5710 Anthony St.

McFarland WI 53558

mcfarlanducc.org

-

Pastor Bryan Sirchio

pas...@mcfarlanducc.org

Cell: 608-577-8716

Follow Us
Facebook  Twitter  Instagram
Visit our website

McFarland United Church of Christ | 5710 Anthony Street | McFarland, WI 53558 US

Unsubscribe | Update Profile | Constant Contact Data Notice

Constant Contact