Call for Moderators and Commentators

Thomas O. Haakenson

Jan 28, 2011, 6:42:48 PM1/28/11
to German Studies Association Visual Culture Network
Dear Visual Culture Network Colleagues,

We will be proposing seven panels on our theme, “Representations of German Identity in Visual Culture,” to the Program Committee for inclusion in this fall’s German Studies Association (GSA) conference in Louisville, Kentucky, which will take place September 22nd to the 25th. Our seven panels, panel sub-headings, and paper titles are listed below.

Here’s where you, a member of our VCN online community, can help.

We seek individuals interested in serving as moderators / commentators for these panels. If you are interested, please send us your name, current position / institutional affiliation, the name of the panel(s), and the role in which you would like to serve (i.e., moderator, commentator, or either). We will also need your GSA member reference number. Send this information to both Deb and Tom no later than Friday, February 4th.

Note that graduate students cannot serves as moderators or commentators, per the GSA’s conference guidelines, and that all moderators / commentators must be active (i.e., 2011) members of the GSA.

The VCN panels are sure to add exciting new opportunities for us, and our GSA colleagues, to examine further the important, varied role visual culture plays in German studies.  We very much look forward to hearing from you no later than Friday, February 4th.

Best wishes,
Deb Ascher and Tom Haakenson
das...@acm.wsu.edu and thaak...@mcad.edu

Co-Coordinators, German Studies Association’s Visual Culture Network

German Studies Association 2011
Visual Culture Network
Proposed Panels
Theme: Representations of German Identity in Visual Culture

Panel 1: German Identity and Heimat
• “Architecture and Extra-Urban Settlements (Siedlungen) in WWI” (title tbd)
• “The Problem of German Identity in 1930s Austria and the Rise of Austrian Heimat Photography”
• “Fremde Heimat: The Domestic Home as Site of Homelessness  in Thomas Arslan’s Ferien (2007)”

Panel 2: Time and German Identity
• “The Picture ‘which Master Stephan made’”
• “Through the Looking Glass: German Identity in Two Architecture Photography Series”
• “Cleaving German Identity in Wagner’s Ring”

Panel 3: Painting and German Identity
• “Hans Thoma’s Landscapes & the Construction of German Identity within the Modern Nation State”
• “George Grosz’s Self-Portraits, 1937-1945” (title tbd)
• “’Your Educators can be only your Liberators’: Ernst L. Kirchner and the Importance of Nietzsche, 1914-1917”

Panel 4: German Identity and the Warrior
• “Fantasies from the armory: Germany as warrior in art since the Romantics”
• “German Art and the Spirit of 1914: Identity, Modernism, and the Problem of War Art”
• “’Where the Iron Crosses Grow’: Cinematic Portrayals of the German Soldier on the Eastern Front”
• Mattias Harbeck, “Visualizing Germany and the Germans in American Mainstream Comics since World War II”

Panel 5: German Identity Beyond the Third Reich
• “How ‘Meaningless” is Art Research of the Third Reich?”
• “Pergamon Museum, Subjecthood, Citizenship” (title tbd)
• “Images of the Ideal Male Body and the Emergence of West German Gay Identity in the 1950s”

Panel 6: German Identity Beyond the Cold War
• “Reconstructing German Identity in the East German Museum of German History”
• “Good Bye, DDR!:  Where East German Material Culture meets Film”
• “Representing the ’geteilte gemeinsame Erinnerung’:  The Musealization of Halle-Neustadt”

Panel 7: Post-Wende German Identity
• “Revisiting the Sandman: Memory and Identity in Stan Douglas’ Film Installation Der Sandmann”
• “Keine Frage der Herkunft: An Analysis of the German Government’s Visual Multicultural Campaign”
• “Raus mit der Sprache. Rein ins Leben: The Exposed Tongue”
• “Who am I? Who are You?: Ethnicity and Mimicry in the Comedy of Kaya Yanar, Bülent Ceylan and Murat Topal”

--
Thomas O. Haakenson, PhD
Chair and Associate Professor

Liberal Arts Department