DB Connections backend work

Sean Colsen

Nov 3, 2023, 4:28:45 PM11/3/23
to Mathesar Developers

Brent and Anish,

I have finished spec’ing out the backend work that I’ll need in order to move forward with the changes to DB connections. It’s organized in this meta ticket:

Connections work addendum

I’d like the two of you to coordinate with each other in order to complete this work. Please assign these three issues between the two of yourselves to indicate to me when you have made plans for who will do what.

I’m effectively blocked on starting front end work until the new “connections” API is complete, so please prioritize doing that first. After that, I’ll be blocked on finishing front end work until the remaining backend tasks are complete.

Brent, note that I made some slight adjustments since we last spoke. Notably, I’m proposing that the connections API needn't concern itself with the internal DB connection at all. Instead, we can pass that info to the front end via common_data, circumventing the need to clutter any of our APIs with it.

We can discuss specific implementation concerns in the relevant tickets. And if anyone has higher-level questions or concerns, please reply to this thread.

I'm waiting until some of the dust settles around the "Connections" page design before I create the front end tickets, but I expect to do that soon.

Brent Moran

Nov 5, 2023, 7:55:07 PM11/5/23
to Sean Colsen, Mathesar Developers
Brent, note that I made some slight adjustments since we last spoke. Notably, I’m proposing that the connections API needn't concern itself with the internal DB connection at all. Instead, we can pass that info to the front end via common_data, circumventing the need to clutter any of our APIs with it.

Fantastic idea.

Thanks for getting this rolling, Sean. I'll coordinate with Anish.