Exploration association strategy

Sean Colsen

May 23, 2024, 3:02:12 PMMay 23
to Mathesar Developers
Team. This message is mainly for Brent Pavish and Anish.

I'm in the passenger seat of the car dictating this message to my phone, so apologies that I can't insert any hyperlinks to reference the context prior to this message.

I just listened to the technical beta check-in meeting. With regard to the exploration association strategy I wanted to send some follow-up thoughts. There were four options from what I can tell the group rather quickly narrowed it down to options A and B. Option A is sending all the explorations to the front end and allowing the front end to filter it by schema. Option B is doing that filtering within the service layer.

I would like to make a stronger case for option A being the best option. I don't want to try to make that case right now, but I wanted to mention this so that we don't move forward with option B implementation just yet. I would like to chat about this at least with Brent. Potentially others to. Hopefully we can do this soon next week.

Kriti Godey

Jun 3, 2024, 7:02:52 PMJun 3
to Sean Colsen, Mathesar Developers
Can someone link to the meeting notes where this was resolved when they're up?

Sean Colsen

Jun 3, 2024, 10:07:50 PMJun 3
to Kriti Godey, Mathesar Developers

We discussed this on 2024-06-03 from 48:22 - 1:09:40.

Basically we agreed to proceed with option A (client-side filtering) and re-evaluate if needed.

There’s one tiny user-facing feature we’d like to abandon to make it easier to go with option A…

We’d like to get approval from Kriti and Ghislaine to make this change.

On the database page, the list of schemas currently displays the number of explorations "in" each schema.

image

With our architectural changes, computing that number is going to require extra development time, and we’d rather not spend time on it unless we absolutely need it. If we can drop this small feature it will help us get to beta a tiny bit faster. We could implement it later if needed. Is this okay? I (Sean) proposed cutting this. I'm currently trying to be quite aggressive with finding opportunities for scope cutting!

Ghislaine Guerin

Jun 4, 2024, 5:42:35 AMJun 4
to Sean Colsen, Kriti Godey, Mathesar Developers
Thanks Sean. I think we can drop that considering that at some point in the future we'll probably move explorations outside of schemas.

Kriti Godey

Jun 6, 2024, 1:04:13 AMJun 6
to Ghislaine Guerin, Sean Colsen, Mathesar Developers
Fine with me too.