Launch update 3/1

Kriti Godey

Mar 1, 2023, 3:44:11 PM3/1/23
to Mathesar Developers
Hi everyone,

We are still on track to launch tomorrow. All pending installation issues from yesterday's email have been resolved and merged into master, and the release process has been finalized.

The master branch is now frozen, except for the PR that implements the release. No further work should be merged into master until further notice.

Priorities for the next day:

Brent - please create the release. I've assigned https://github.com/centerofci/mathesar/issues/2434 to you with pertinent details. I started a PR but realized my Docker setup is too old to make the release myself, I keep running into errors.

Mukesh - please continue to work on the demo load balancer and pull in others if they can help.

Core team & Anish: Please review the docs https://docs.mathesar.org/ and test out installing Mathesar. Open GitHub issues for anything you run into or if you want to suggest improvements.

Community members are also welcome to test out installation!

I will be working on launch related posts in this doc (only accessible to core & community team). It might be a little messy in there until tomorrow, but if people have feedback, feel free to reach out.

---

We have a launch check-in tomorrow, please add agenda items to the meeting notes doc if there's anything you want to discuss.

Let me know if you have concerns or questions.

Rajat Vijay

Mar 1, 2023, 11:35:42 PM3/1/23
to Kriti Godey, Mathesar Developers

> Please review the docs https://docs.mathesar.org/ and test out installing Mathesar

installing mathesar won't work since we've deleted all of the releases on Dockerhub, right?

Brent Moran

Mar 2, 2023, 12:55:34 AM3/2/23
to Mathesar Developers
@Rajat Vijay
Yes, you were correct. However, that's now been rectified, since we
have finished publishing the release, along with new docker images.

Okay, folks, version 0.1.0 is out!
Here's the release on github:
https://github.com/centerofci/mathesar/releases/tag/0.1.0 .

The documentation is updated to point to this release when installing
via the command in the Quickstart section. It would be great if
everyone could take a moment to test things out on their system.

Here's the Quickstart page of the docs, for reference:
https://docs.mathesar.org/installation-dc/quickstart/ .

Dominykas Mostauskis

Mar 2, 2023, 4:42:17 AM3/2/23
to Brent Moran, Mathesar Developers
🍾!

Pavish Kumar Ramani Gopal

Mar 2, 2023, 5:50:29 AM3/2/23
to Dominykas Mostauskis, Kriti Godey, Brent Moran, Mathesar Developers

There's a critical bug where installation fails on Mac.

open /etc/mathesar/.env: permission denied

Unfortunately, the installation has failed.

We'll print some error logs above that will hopefully point you to the
problem.

A common issue is for there to be some networking issue outside of Mathesar's
control. Please:
- Make sure you can reach your preexisting DB from this machine, if relevant.
- Make sure you have access to https://raw.githubusercontent.com/

If you can't get things working, please raise an issue at

 This is probably due to the recent changes to permissions for the .env file, which I don't think was tested on all platforms. We should revert that.

Anish Umale

Mar 2, 2023, 6:46:15 AM3/2/23
to Pavish Kumar Ramani Gopal, Dominykas Mostauskis, Kriti Godey, Brent Moran, Mathesar Developers
The install script worked without any issues on my machine.

The only thing I'd like to point out is that the link in the welcome message of the script results in a 404.

Kriti Godey

Mar 2, 2023, 9:45:10 AM3/2/23
to Anish Umale, Pavish Kumar Ramani Gopal, Dominykas Mostauskis, Brent Moran, Mathesar Developers
installing mathesar won't work since we've deleted all of the releases on Dockerhub, right?

I meant to say "test installation after Brent makes the release" but it all worked out.

We're re-doing the release based on issues people found, so thanks for testing!

Brent Moran

Mar 2, 2023, 9:54:30 AM3/2/23
to Mathesar Developers
Okay, after an initial round of bugfixes, we're back online with the
release of 0.1.0 !

The relevant links are the same as in the previous email:
https://github.com/centerofci/mathesar/releases/tag/0.1.0
https://docs.mathesar.org/installation-dc/quickstart/

Thanks everyone for helping find those issues!