Technical beta check in

Sean Colsen

May 16, 2024, 12:02:40 PMMay 16
to Mathesar Developers

Hey team,

Anish, Brent, and I met today and discussed a bunch of stuff, mostly relevant do the RPC-API transition. The recording is here:

https://tldv.io/app/meetings/66460318b384e50013a175b9?transcript=true&video=true

There were two topics that others might be interested in…

  • From 2:18 - 15:00 we discussed display options being shared vs private. We agreed to keep them shared for now.

  • From 15:00 - 38:00 we discussed some details about how we’d like the RPC methods to behave in comparison to the REST API. Pavish you might be interested in this.

    In particular, we’re moving forward with a design that separates the RPC methods for working with DB objects vs working with the metadata on those objects. For example, in the REST API a single API response lists all columns in a table, and the display options are returned nested inside each column object. In the RPC API, fetching those display options will require a separate RPC call. We can batch those RPC calls together, submitting only a single HTTP request. But the results will need to be joined together at some point within the front end. This design keeps gives us cleaner structure and reduces backend implementation effort. It will require some additional refactoring on the front end, but Sean will take care of that.

Kriti Godey

May 16, 2024, 8:39:54 PMMay 16
to Sean Colsen, Mathesar Developers
Thanks for the update, Sean.